Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Falling Apart & HOPE Bundle Winner Announcement

Ever since I got the Christmas Quilt bundle, I've been waiting to make this card.

Full disclosure - I have a well documented fear of sewing machines. So that was not my attraction to this bundle in the least. As a matter of fact, it's amazing that I could overcome my suturaphobia (I just made that up but feel free to use it liberally) in order to even buy this bundle.

But I did because its geometry called to me like a little siren might.

I saw color and graphic designs in its angular parts and pieces and my mind went instantly to all the gel prints I have on hand for just such projects.

Now because I have a curious mind, I had to ask my friend Mel what this pattern was, because it reminded me of some southwestern motifs I'd seen in New Mexico.

It's called a Lemoyne Star pattern, and it's actually named after the founders of New Orleans - Jean Baptiste and Pierre Lemoyne. It was quickly nicknamed Lemon, apparently. If you want to research quilt patterns without ever having to touch fabric, I really like this blog paired with Mel.

I had pulled a NOT Gel Press print out of my pile specifically for my friend Kelli's Falliday challenge today to use colorful paper pieces and set it aside weeks ago. I'm calling it a NOT Gel Press print because it's actually the cardstock I was cleaning my brayer with during a gel press printing session. Sometimes those are prettier than my prints, and this one was a heart stopper. That heat map look I so love. My sister and I had been printing with some of the fluorescent Cryl colors and I really loved how bright they were.

Now I went crazy on the eclipse technique for this one. It's hard to see in this photo, but there are four layers of cardstock for every piece of the quilt pattern underneath the top colorful layer. So it sticks up quite a big off the cardstock and is very dramatic. Fun to piece together while listening to my latest audiobook - Incendiary - which is fascinating. I thought the sentiment from Feather Together was MADE for this bundle too. Really sweet for an encouragement card.


I'm headed out for a much-needed few days of fun with my tribe, so be watching for shenanigans on Instagram and Facebook, and don't have too much fun without me!

And since I'm late announcing my Hope Bundle winners from this post, AND since this print was created during the printing session for today's card, here are my winners! I'll be shipping your bundles and donating in your names next week! Thank you for your entries - you are amazing people - I loved reading your comments - it was inspiring.


  1. Randa McNair
  2. Joanne Howard
  3. Francie Schlesinger
  4. Sharon Stewart
  5. Arianna Barbara
  6. Nicole Redden
  7. Helen Beattie
  8. Fonda Rush
  9. Geri Stuart
  10. Barb MacAskill

Loveyameanitbye.

10 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Love it! Have some great tribe time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, can you use Stampin' Up! ink on a Gel Press? I love this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! This is gorgeous! The colors are amazing, and the pattern really lifts off the page. Good stuff, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your not gel printing piece! Great colors and I love the pattern that came through! Yumminess!
    Congratulations to all the other lucky winners! I was so excited to see my name on the winner’s list! 😁 I am going to match your $20 donation for my being one of the winners! I wish I could match your entire donation but we need to eat this month!
    Thank you for your snarkiness, generosity and big heart! You are truly beautiful inside and out. We need more people like you in the world

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colors, I can't wait to try out my gel press. Thank you so much for your donations and thank you for this wonderful stamp set, I am so excited to be one of your winners. Have a wonderful time with your tribe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!!
    I'm so happy to be one the lucky winners, dear Lydia!!! Thank you so much!
    I love your colouring! In this card there's one of my fav combo of colors and also, the beautiful sentiment sending me good and positive vibes! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? I won? WOOHOO!Thank you so much for your generosity. Your card is gorgeous. I do make quilts, mostly from scraps that I've hoarded for 30+ yrs. And I really like hand quilting them. (I do machine piece them tho.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I received my bundle today. Thank you so much!! ❤💛💚💙💜

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...