Monday, September 7, 2009

Busy is the New Relax

I realized this on my walk this morning when I was panicking over everything I have left to do in a long weekend that got away from me.

Everyone I know has lots to do after work. They work after work. Crafty people do this anyway, always busily creating something to sell or teach in every spare moment.

When was the last time you woke up and said "Hmm - I wonder what I'll do today?" I haven't done that in years. Maybe decades.

So for all of us who passionately fill every moment that we can loosely call "spare", Labor Day is truly filled with labor. Hopefully on something you enjoy. :)

No man is born into the world whose work
Is not born with him; there is always work
And tools to work withal, for those who will....
~James Russell Lowell

I love making thank you cards. So some of my labor went here this weekend. I copied this design from my lovely and talented downline, Neelam. This was her convention swap.
Stamps: Very Thankful
Paper: Bermuda Bay, Basic Black, Whisper White, K&Co DSP
Ink: Basic Black
Accessories: Bermuda Bay Marker, Two Way Glue Pen, Dazzling Diamonds Glitter

Where I have DSP, she had a strip of Bermuda Bay embossed with Petals a Plenty.

There's glitter on the peacock feathers, his head and the little flowers, but for whatever reason, God does not want us to photograph glitter. I'm sure he has a good reason.

Now speaking of labor and Labor Day, I wanted to show you what a real tomato looks like.
This is a real tomato from a real farmer not far from here. It's beautiful, and delicious and doesn't taste like a stupid store tomato. You should find some. Remember that behind every holiday meal and get together, there is a real person laboring to make you a tomato that looks like this. Buy stuff from them. They are important people, and it's the most essential labor that gets done in this country. Whatever you do, don't buy food from China or Venus or places far away. We know how to do this tomato thing. Let's enjoy it.

Yes, I am positive that one of the great curatives of our evils, our maladies, social, moral, and intellectual, would be a return to the soil, a rehabilitation of the work of the fields. ~Charles Wagner

Now there are a few beasts that don't labor at all. They just laze around on my desk while I labor. These things DO know how to relax. :)

And apparently their foreheads taste good. :)

Happy Labor Day everyone! Thanks for helping make the world go around with your labors.

Without labor nothing prospers. ~Sophocles

Have you signed up for the UBlue Cyber Club? Attended one of my Webinars?? Come on - get your geek on! :)

Want to see my other blog?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely, as always!

    Last year a guy from PA came through our market and asked why we felt the need to support the small farmers. Seriously! There is nothing better than a locally grown tomato, picked today or yesterday. I eat them like apples.

    WV: inchi. An craft phenom where you only need to ink up one inch of surface area. Tiny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cards!!!

    Cats are tooo cute.

    Happy Labor Day girly.

    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I wake up in the mornings I ask myself..."Where the heck do I start?" Always too much to do!

    Pretty cards!

    Cute photo of the kitties. It seems like in all of the kitty photos that Splotchy looks like she is playing big sister to Maddie. There is always a Splotchy arm around Maddie. Am I imagining this, or is this how things are between them? Just curious. Whatever the birth order, so to speak, they are way too cute for words.

    Hugs,

    Lisa Atha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card. Real homegrown tomatoes are the only way to go. They are a meal unto them self with the right seasoning (lil s&p).

    Bout time you had pics of the furkids! I was beginning to wonder what happened to them....

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool cards. I love the colors. The kitties are really cute too! they do love each other don't they?

    I have to tell you that my cat is addicted to not only glitter but to lotion! The other night I used some mango mandarine lotion on my DH back before he went to bed and in the middle of the night Sheba started licking him. Well he is really ticklish and it just about sent him up a tree! Hee Hee it was the best because she just would not quit until she had had enough.

    gotta love those kitties!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I almost forgot about that beautiful tomatoe! It looks just like the ones that we are growning and I am so sad that the season is almost at an end. I can't even look at a tomatoe from the store. You are so right we should buy these from the people that work so hard to grow them. And corn on the cob too!!!

    I will be doing lots of canning in the near future.

    Hummmmmm.

    M

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...