Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Flight

This is my paper quilt that will be hanging in the airport. It's about 16 x 20. The squares are made from pages from Communication Arts Magazine, and also Inside Santa Fe, an art exhibit magazine I pick up in Santa Fe every year. The birds are cut with my Stampin' Up! exclusive bird die.

The images I chose are meant to evoke feelings of both flight and destinations.

When Navajo weavers make blankets or rugs, they weave a deliberate mistake into them, because only God is perfect. It would offend the gods and give you some seriously bad mojo if you produced a "perfect" weaving. Since this project is emulating a blanket, I included a little Navajo tribute, turning one bird opposite the way he "should" be facing.

I figured if it was going to go in the airport, the last thing I needed was bad mojo! :)


Have you signed up for the UBlue Cyber Club? Attended one of my Webinars?? Come on - get your geek on! :)

Want to see my other blog?

12 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I've been wondering how this turned out. I remember you were cutting or punching in a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations. this will give travelers a lift even before they get on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is quite beautiful. I always admire this type of art as I don't have the ability at all to create it. I just can't see it in the raw (you know before it is done) stages.

    I wish that I was coming that way so that I could see it in real life.

    Congrats on having your art hung in such a cool place.

    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I love it! And I didn't know that about the Navajo...tres cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Islamic art is the same also. Only Allah is perfect so art has to have a flaw.

    Can't wait to meet you IRL at the Austin shoebox gathering. It's a blast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job, Lydia! I did not know about the Navajo tradtion, so this post was extra good for me (art + education= happy Kim).

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia, your quilt is just amazing! I remember the Navajo story from when I lived in Arizona. That's cool that you did that. And yes, bad mojo in the airport is not a good thing. :)

    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous. It's unique. It's fabulous! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Lydia! Congratulations! I am all for airport art...and our airport here in vancouver has TONS of artwork...you will love it when you come here... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful. I wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arg! Now I want this die cut. Nice project, but the way. LOVE the use of magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! What an honor! Your quilt beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...