Monday, December 1, 2008

Do Something Good Every Day - a Tutorial

You should you know.

I have some news I'm sitting on - that makes two things I'm sitting on - my hiney and some news.

But I will give you a hint.

It's really cool.

It's part of a project that I've been working on and will show you soon, and the purpose of the project is to reanimate things that you would otherwise throw away. They are reanimated, not recycled, because they will be art, not functional things, and there will be a little twist, where the new life they have gives a nod to the old life they had. You'll see.

Tonight, an example.

First of all - I made my own snowglobe!! Who doesn't love a snowglobe?

"The devil" is the only possible answer to that question!!

But I digress.

I made this card for Shelli's Creative Challenge this month.

It's a very simple card, but I do need to do a quick tutorial for some of it. So settle in.

First, let's talk about the base of the snowglobe. It's made with the word window punch and Basic Black Cardstock.

To make the base, you need to get creative with the punch.

The bottom of the base is just a regular punched piece with this punch.

The second level - the shorter one - you have to modify a little.

The height of a punched word window is about 3/8".

So cut a longish strip of Basic Black cardstock that is 3/8" wide.

Feed one end into the punch and punch what will become the left side of your snowglobe base, leaving the right side squared off.

Then take the small piece you've punched and insert it into your punch from the opening, line it up and make it the length you want your finished piece to be, make sure it's level, and punch - it will round off the right hand side of your snowglobe base perfectly.

My top level is maybe a little less than 1/2" shorter than the standard word window length.

When that is done, use mini glue dots to attach it to.. ?

What is that? Look at the fabby texture, the nice warm kraft color. How much did THAT cost? It must be some crazy new accessory that's all the rage.


Or - How about - it cost - nothin'!! Yep - it's a piece of a sleeve from my Thanksgiving beverage at Starbucks!!

I originally saved it because I thought I could use the printed side. I love the black logo, the surprising red, the parentheses. But when I took it apart, I loved the reverse side even more.

And, as a bonus, the white side is very smooth and holds my mini glue dots nicely to stick to my card.

How about that?

Now - No stealing sleeves from my beloved Starbucks, ladies!! You're just gonna need to drink a lot of coffee! Smiley from millan.netRemember - you can sleep when you're dead!! :)

To make the snowglobe part, I just stamped the little snowman from Merry & Bright in black, and watercolored him with Bashful Blue and Rose Red and my Blender Pen. Then I punched him out with my 1 3/8" punch (he has a greeting on the bottom, and this way I didn't have to do any omitting.

I carefully covered the little circle with Crystal Effects, and then gingerly sprinkled just a little bit of Dazzling Diamonds glitter over it.

Set it aside to harden - and really leave it alone. I tried to touch mine like 4011 time and had to fix the Crystal Effects afterwards. I hate waiting. But you need to. Do as I say, not as I do.

Attach this cute little guy to the reanimated coffee sleeve with dimensionals - I used four to make sure he was level.

Then stick this panel on your card and add a sassy brown rub-on from Season of Cheer, which adds the "nod" to the original purpose of the reanimated item - because coffee is nothing if not warm.

:)

Hope you enjoyed the homemade Snowglobe.

Have a great night.

Don't forget - webinar for Google Reader is tomorrow night. If you want to attend, click here. Or just fill out the form below!!!

You don't want to miss it!!

2 comments:

  1. cool! you're so GREEN and eco-friendly with this project!

    i knew what it was just from your header, and i'm excited to see the total reveal.

    i didn't see a payment option on the formsite.com site for tomorrow night's webinar. can i send it to you the old fashioned way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia,

    Ok, too funny! I just got done posting a snow globe creation on my blog as well. I like yours better though. Isn't that how it always works? Anyways, that is too cute and love how you were eco-friendly too. Very creative.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...