Friday, February 17, 2012

And The Cow Jumped Over the Moon


It's raining.

Which has nothing to do with my blog post, but I can hear it and it's bugging me so I had to just put it out there. It's supposed to rain all weekend. I actually took the picture of today's card outside in the rain. I think I caught the last light of the week out there. 

I had some fun visitors last week. Jeanne, Bev & Dina - all Dirty Girls from Splitcoast

We got a tiny amount of stamping in in our short visit, and I got to do what I really wanted to do for a little while, which was watch Dina color. 

She does it so effortlessly.

I, on the other hand, do not. 

However, I just need a little practice. What I tried is using alcohol like you would normally use water to paint with. 

First, I scribbled some Touch Twin markers on a smooth ceramic tile. That was my palette - like when you put water based reinkers on a paper plate or the lid of your ink pad. Then, I filled up my Aquapainter with 91% rubbing alcohol and picked up marker ink on it to paint with. It took a little getting used to, but it was really fun. It gives you a more watercolored look than just coloring traditionally with the markers. A little less perfect, more soft and super fun. 
Stamps: Nursery Times Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa (stamped off once) 
Paper: SU Watercolor Paper, First Edition DSP, Crumb Cake 
Edgelits - Adorning Accents, ShinHan Touch Twin Markers: B67, Y34, BR103, BR95, 
Rubbing alcohol, Aqua Painter

This little Nursery Times set is so sweet. It reminds me of the sweet little Mother Goose nursery rhyme book that was such a welcome break from the unnecessary terror and horror of the Brothers Grimm! I'd much rather think about a cow jumping over the moon than some crazy broad turning kids into blocks of ice or popping them in the oven like a chicken pot pie! 

Seriously. Those stories are horrid. HOWEVER, I'm really enjoying their reinterpretation in the show Once Upon a Time - are you watching? It's perfectly creepy and I'm now old enough to only be moderately terrified of a child-eating witch. Moderately. Rumplestiltskin still scares the bejeebers out of me though. Sheesh!

I'm back - I had to go check under the bed for witches. 

This week's Kindle book for me is really great - I can't believe how many books I've read since I got my Kindle Fire! I love that thing. I hate to say this out loud, but I might like it better than my Ipad! HORROR!

Anyway - the book is called Quiet

I know - I'm not quiet!! Don't make me pinch you for that brilliant observation! But this book is a great study of how the world deals with extroverts and introverts. 

The part I just read had this great study about babies. They put mobiles over babies' cribs. They measured the degree to which the babies yelled and batted at the mobiles. Surprisingly, the yelliest, battiest babies grew up to be the most introverted, and the quiet babies turned into extroverts. The babies who reacted less, to stimuli were more confident and relaxed, where the other babies were more stressed by the somewhat active environment. Makes sense, but it's the opposite of what you first think when you read the study. 

It's full of great information and I love books on personality and psychology. Now if I could just stay awake more than five minutes after settling down to read, I'd be good! I wonder if there's a book about how to stay awake while reading and watching movies. Let me know if you find one!

That danged cow just starts jumping over the moon as soon as I get comfortable :).

Loveyameanitbye.

8 comments:

  1. I love this technique. It might be my "oh, shiny" of the weekend. I'll just forget all that other stuff I had planned. :)

    PS: $%##$*@word verification! I've reported it to Google in the "how are we doing" feedback thing. And you can turn it off by going back to the settings in Old Blogger. >:(
    PPS: HAHAHA! I got it wrong! ;/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, I totally love what you did with this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Cow jumping over the moon card! Great technique. I do something similar with my water based markers since I am hopeless with the alcohol based ones. Although this technique might actually work for me.

    I don't watch any scary shows, other than CSI or Willy E Coyote (that roadrunner comes so close to getting caught but he's been pretty lucky so far). Enough excitement for me.

    Thank you for sharing your pretty card. Hope you are having a great weekend other than the gloomy skies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful card -- love the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting technique on using alcohol with the markers and Aqua Painter. I may have to give that a try.

    Now a question about your Kindle Fire. What specifically do you like about it? As opposed to a Kindle Touch or your iPad? I have a pad (Droid-based) and have only read one book on it, but I didn't like how it was laid out. Of course, it was a free book, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know. Just curious on your thoughts.
    (You can send me a message via e-mail at jayne@jaynestamps.com.)

    WV: grantis comforts
    To be used in a prayer as in
    "Lord, may you grantis comforts through this day..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable card Lydia, that cow cracks me up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww....now THAT is a cutie patootie card...and your coloring of it is over the moon!!! =) Ok...seriously....nope....too still creeped out here about witches, etc. In fact my daughter watches Once Upon A Time and told me that I should not watch it because it's not a "happily ever after" type of show like I love! Ha!

    Now to break that study completely into a million pieces...neither of my children were very wild about mobiles....both were introverts until about 3 years ago when my daughter decided she'd have more fun if she wasn't! LOL Ahhh...Psychology just doesn't ever quite fit into the neat little boxes they'd like! ;)

    Oh....now let me just give you a thought to reflect upon: The "History" of eamoms will repeat itself until we learn how to dance.

    (I used eamoms and History from the anti spam thingy! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super card... That soft coloring technique and those text panels have me smiling. The book sounds great. I love thought-provoking books as well.... *smile*

    P.S. I am not happy about the new word verification either. It's as if some old software was dusted off to produce these graphics. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...