Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Above All Else, Be Happy

At my last retreat, I was fortunate enough to have two sponsors attend - Iliana, the inventor of the MISTI, and Beth Duff of Beth Duff Designs. Beth had met a few of the attendees at Junkie Fest, so she wasn't COMPLETELY terrified of us, but I think she probably had a healthy fear, which was probably reinforced by everything she experienced there.

But she had an incredible story to tell us about her life and her ability to overcome challenges, and that story has been with me every day since.

Life is full of hard things. But you do have choices about your little everyday moments despite those hard things, and one of the most important choices you can make is the choice to be (and share) happy.

Happy looks different for everyone. Happy might mean saying no to a social gathering because you are more content at home in your PJs with your pet. Happy might mean cooking an amazing meal. Happy might mean NEVER cooking. Happy might mean driving instead of flying. Happy might mean deliberately jumping out of an airplane.

Happy might mean coloring a sweet little narwhal that your infectiously happy friend Beth designed.

So that's what I did.
Narwhal Card by Understand Blue









Don't Believe in Humans Stamp Set –...
[ BDD ]
CRAFTERS WORKSHOP TCW-361 Template,...
[ AMZUS ]
Squiggles - A Colorful Life Designs
[ CLD ]
Colorbox Dyestress Ink Pad - Pansy
[ JGG ]
Colorbox Dyestress Ink Pad - Scuba
[ JGG ]
Colorbox Dyestress Ink Pads -...
[ JGG ]
Brutus Monroe RAVEN Ultra Fine...
[ SSS ]
VersaFine Clair Ink Pad, Nocturne -...
[ ELH | SSS ]
Neat and Tangled LIKE MAGIC Sequin...
[ SSS | N&T ]
Escoda Versatil Brushes, Travel Round...
[ UTR | BLIC | INK ]
Arteza WATER BRUSH PENS Set of 6 Red...
[ SSS ]
Fabriano Extra White Cold Press...
[ BLIC ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSW | HA | SSS | ELH | MFT | SBC ]
Ranger US HEAT IT CRAFT TOOL United...
[ SSS ]
Lawn Fawn STAMP SHAMMY Cleaner LF1045
[ SSS | ELH | CST | ART | SBC ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC ]
Multipurpose Liquid Glue by Stampin' Up!
[ SUP ]
Nesting Porcelain Bowls - BLICK art...
[ BLIC ]
My Favorite Watercolor Sketchbook
[ UTR ]


For the background of my narwhal, I used some Pansy and Scuba ink, with the Wrinkle Free Distress technique, with the help of this stencil and this stencil, and some experimentation, which you'll see in a video below. I used these sequins, and my favorite black embossing powder, which my friend Christopher makes. I love having friends who make things.

SO, speaking of friends who make things, I decided to try the inks for ink blending with two more friends' stuff - my friend Mary Kay (also a retreat sponsor) makes AMAZING stencils, so I used Cattail, Citronella and Fruit Punch ink with my Life Changing Blender Brushes to selectively color the background with this beautiful stencil. Then I cut the background apart and trimmed off a section in the middle. I adhered those to a piece of acetate and then stamped and die cut these adorable kitties and adhered them on top of the gap with the acetate behind the stenciled panel. I put that on a Desert Storm card base. Stencils make such a big impact in a short amount of time and these cats KILL me with cuteness.
Stenciled Cats card by Understand Blue








Catitude - Pink and Main LLC
[ PNK ]
Zentangle Dots - A Colorful Life Designs
[ CLD ]
"Life Changing" Blender Brush Set -...
[ PFS ]
Colorbox Dyestress Ink Pad - Fruit Punch
[ JGG ]
Colorbox Dyestress Ink Pad - Citronella
[ JGG ]
Colorbox Dyestress Ink Pad - Cattail
[ JGG ]
Tsukineko VersaFine Clair NOCTURNE...
[ SSS | ELH ]
Crafter's Companion HEAT RESISTANT...
[ SSS ]
Neenah Environment 80 LB SMOOTH...
[ SSS ]
Heavy Base Weight Card Stock- White
[ GNK ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSW | HA | SSS | ELH | MFT ]
Absorber - Synthetic Cleaning Cloth
[ AMZUS ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC ]
Mudder 10 Pack White Buffer Sanding...
[ AMZUS ]
Xyron ADHESIVE ERASER 23675
[ SSS | ART | AMZUS ]
Essentials by Ellen Storage...
[ ELH ]
Teflon Bone Folder - Ellen Hutson LLC
[ ELH | SSS ]
Tombow MONO MULTI Liquid Glue Two...
[ SSS | ART | BLIC | ELH ]
Ink Off Cloth
[ INK ]

Enjoy the video on the background:



What do you do that makes you happy? Leave me a comment and I will choose one of you to win a prize package of things that make ME happy.

Then hop over to Splitcoaststampers to see what the team has done with these inks in today's product focus.

Loveyameanitbye.

20 comments:

  1. Sitting outside and reading and maybe falling asleep. Sadly it’s a little too chilly to do that now. But also buying new stamps, and I can do that all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love a chubby narwal?! The colors on this card are majestic! <3 As for the second card - I would have never pegged you as a cat person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, besides making cards and learning from great creative teachers like you, Lydia, my happy comes from picking fresh herbs from my garden and making wonderful meals in my cozy kitchen. Especially in the fall. How does sage crusted pork roast filled with cranberry bread stuffing sound? Now if only fall weather would finally show up in Texas!! Let's get cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could take the background of your narwhal card and use it on every card for the rest of my life... and perhaps as the wallpaper in my house, and as the interior of my car, I would be happy. But seriously, happiness to me comes from laughing with friends and family, from walking in the woods, from learning new things, and from spreading joy to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still amazed at all the crafty, wonderfully artistic and talented people you have crossed paths with. They add so much beauty and show so much courage as they put themselves out there for everyone to see. And I am so glad that you do because I would never in twenty lifetimes find all the little gems you share with us! The narwhal will come live at my house as soon as paypal behaves and lets me check out! thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet cards, those Colorbox inks look like fun! Sorting and organizing makes me happy, hubby says all he needs to do is give me a box of colored rocks, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making cards with all my crafty supplies! Simple, but true. Not much better in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to find my happy... lately it has been eluding me. So, I guess, for now, it would be spending time with my sweet husband and my four kitties. And, I am trying my hand at growing succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your cards. What makes me happy is learning new things about watercoloring, card making etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What makes me happy varies. Your videos pretty much always make me happy! Just to see it in my subscriptions list can make my day! :) Making crafty things usually makes me happy, unless I'm already having a more-miserable-than-usual day. Then I shred papers. And of course, hanging with my bestest friend Barney (our next to youngest cat)! I love the cards you made--especially the no-wrinkle distress background. I haven't done that technique in a long time. Thanks for the tips on these new inks! :) ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the narwhal and the kitty cats. They made me smile and feel happy. Anything positive - sunshine, clouds, rain, snow (seeing not being in), mountains, ocean, trees, moss, animals, baby's laughing & learning new things, nice people, my jammies, pretty smells, crispy cookies, German food, Japanese food, Mexican food, Italian food, food, loved ones, safe people to tell life's secrets to, and gratitude - slowing down and feeling grateful for anything and each thing, makes me happiful. :*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely adorable and wonderfully beautiful cards! We just got a kitten 3 weeks ago. We just sit and watch her play and sleep/cuddle for hours. That little squirt has brought so much happy, but nothing else is getting done around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spending time with family and friends and those I care about makes me happy... and of course any time I can spend crafting makes me incredibly happy! Thanks for all your inspiration and all you share!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hanging out with Opie and crafting...makes me incredibly happy! (Love all the cards you do!!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, hello. Love you blog, that makes me happy thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, hello. Love you blog, that makes me happy thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Buying new crafty supplies makes me happy! :) And being with my kitty, Coco!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Making cards makes me happy and relaxed. I love to ride my bike, especially on a sunny day be it crisp and autumnal or sunny and dry summer. I love to just BE in the sun period. Sun makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super super cute cards!!!
    Making cards and baking cakes make me happy and relaxed very much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What makes me happiest is to spend the day among all my crafty supplies, just playing and experimenting and not worrying about the outcome!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...