Friday, July 7, 2017

Remember Griffin and Sabine?

I think I discovered Nick Bantock in college or shortly after, which was many moons ago.

I LOVED Griffin and Sabine, with all the beautiful envelopes and artifacts tucked into the books, the mail art, and the strange and mysterious story of their correspondence. After I read the books, I bought the Nick Bantock rubber stamps, and used to actually create mail art that was MUCH better than what I was doing in the way of cardmaking back then!

But then, as my cardmaking got better, my envelopes got more and more boring, and now they're just plain white envelopes with terrible handwriting on them. That has to stop. I'm hereby issuing myself (and you if you like) to STOP sending completely boring envelopes.

In my defense, I do handmake a lot of envelopes out of retired DSP, but that's not really the same as the mail art of days of old. My friend Gary - and the best penpal in my life, really - used to do amazing mail art. Stamps and collage and drawing.

I remember Rubber Stamp Madness' mail art features and the ones in the Stampington magazines. I am going to get back to that level of awesomeness if it kills me. I STINK at hand lettering, which you will see soon. Like in just a few seconds. :)

But I came up with a technique to at LEAST create pretty labels for my envelopes that are 100% handmade, and I hope you like it. First - enjoy what I did with half of the label paper that I used on a matching card - it's the background for the beautiful climbing orchid.
Climbing Orchid card with ink layered background by Understandblue
When I do this technique, I can cut each sheet in half - half of the sheet makes TWO pretty envelope labels, because I die cut an oval out of the center of half the sheet and can use both the oval and the frame for envelopes as you can see here.


Ink layered gel press labels by understandblue
Here's a closeup of what the frame label looks like.

Ink layered gel press labels by understandblue

Here's card #2 where I used half the label paper for a different background.
Climbing Orchid card with ink layered background by Understandblue
Here's what the label looks like that matches that card.
Ink layered gel press labels by understandblue



Now how did I do that, you ask?

Well let me show you! I'm a contributing artist over at Gel Press today, and so I made a video of this fun technique using just ink, a Gel Press, your MISTI and some label paper. You will get addicted, I promise. In 10 minutes you will throw down your mouse and run for your desk. Promise.





So send some PRETTY mail today, won't you? These two are already in the mail and I plan to make lots more over the weekend.

I'll be back soon with something completely different.

Loveyameanitbye.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the awesome video - you are such an amazing artist !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I always forget to prettify my envelopes but am going to get better at that as of today! Thanks for the kick in the seat of my pants to get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this technique, and the idea to use it on label paper which I still have in my stash from your Cyanotype technique! Now I only need a gel press... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Griffin & Sabine! As a matter of fact, I was so inspired by that post that I added it to my wishlist and received it as a gift. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and now realize you stated books. So, I may have to search and add more to my wishlist.
    Lydia, the mail art pieces you created are astonishing and so lovely. The color layers, textures and patterns are just gorgeous! I now have to also add mail art to my craft addiction. Thank you for sharing your technique and process in the video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Griffin and Sabine! Why am I not surprised you do too. Love this orchid. I bought stamps to specifically stamp the envelops. Must get them out and actually use them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mail art! That's how I got started stamping! I found some of it about a year ago while cleaning out a drawer. I can remember hoping every day that I'd gotten SOMETHING from SOMEONE. And all it was, when I got it, was a bizarre postcard! But I loved the minds that came up with such bizarre ideas! NOW I know why I like you ! LOL

    And OBTW, I think your handwriting is very artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't see the absorber in the supplies list. could you share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey stranger! If you go back one post, it's linked there! Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  8. Mail art, I always tell my customers to stamp their envelopes but nothing like this! Of course...I love that technique...my Amazon tab runneth over with Lydia Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another product you have tempted me to purchase :-). Love the gel stamp and the backgrounds you produced! Very similar to the acrylic block technique. I purchased my Mini Misti and love it. I had a couple of ladies from my card class purchase one as well after I used it in class. You are so inspirational and so very creative, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome mail art, Lydia. Receiving a card in an envie like that is almost as good as getting the card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant and beautiful envelope decor! If I received an envelope this lovely, it would take quite a while before I opened it, as gazing with wonder would surely be the case...Thank you for the inspiration! Time to jazz up my bland-white envelopes, too!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...