Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Remake!

When I first started stamping, I remember being particularly wow'ed by three things:

  • Heat embossing, which inspired my very first homemade Christmas cards at some point in the 80s. I embossed an image of a chile ristra in gold and colored it with some hideous 80s markers and thought I was in crafty heaven.
  • "WOW bags" - at the first Stampin' Up! workshop I went to, the demonstrator used those Rollagraph rolling stamps to roll alternating diagonal stripes of Posy and Vine in Pink Passion and Green Galore. I think I actually screamed. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of this.
  • The shaving cream technique.
I was truly amazed the first time I "marbled" paper with shaving cream. I must have made 100 really terrible cards with my experiments. My apologies if you received one.

But it was SO cool. It was the beginning of my mixed media fascination I think. So different from stamps, ink and paper.

But once you'd made a few backgrounds, that was kind of it outside of color combos.

But for my last retreat I thought I'd modernize it just a bit and see if it worked with stencils. I had been playing with brusho and embossing paste, and thought shaving cream might be less messy in a group setting so I tried it and loved it.

And I think (they can correct me if I'm wrong) the attendees came away with that as their favorite technique we did.

I asked them to bring their own stencils, and some of them were so amazingly intricate - and this technique preserved every detail - it was amazing. So I felt like it would be fun to do a tutorial on it.

Here are some of the cards I made. 





Fun right? I've been trying to see if I can replicate this with another inking technique and I've decided it's pretty unique.

So this became one of our Falliday Fest tutorials this week, and I'm super excited about it.

I made a short video on it with some super important tips you'll want to hear, so without further ado...




I hope you enjoy this as much as I do - it really makes your craft room smell nice as a bonus!

Loveyameanitbye.

17 comments:

  1. This is so awesome!!! I can't wait to try😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool way to use an old technique! Love it! Will definitely be giving this a try with my stencils. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing! What an incredible idea to pair this technique with stencils. You are brilliant! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your tutorial Lydia!! Your shaving cream stencils turned out great!! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fabulous! Welcome to the 21st century, shaving-cream technique! Thanks so much for sharing, Lydia.xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks...I love what you did mf...just sent my hubby off to get me some shaving cream!! You know how I love making bkgs.
    hugs,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah! I am new to card making, so the regular shaving cream technique is even new to me! I am completely in awe. I need to go get some liquid ink so I can try this for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had forgotten how much fun the shaving cream is ...thanks for the reminder and the good ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing set of cards! Great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are a complete genius and i love enjoying the ways you prove that again and again. Astounding idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just great - I love being reminded about old techniques made new again! I don't use my stencils much but I'm off to find that old can of shaving cream and give this a whirl! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, the old is new again. And what a fabulous way to bring it back. Fantastic idea. Your projects turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lydia, I'm late in watching this video, but so glad I always catch myself up on your blog at some point. Since I have only picked up the card making addiction about two years ago, I have never heard of this technique. WOW! So cool. Perhaps you could revitalize some of the old, popular techniques for future cards? What a treat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this video, I really enjoyed doing this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this, Lydia! Smart ideas!!! I am going to try this soon! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great video, thank you for sharing! I loved trying this and now have several more backgrounds to make into cards!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...