Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Duoprinting, Part Two

Remember my Duoprinting with Chlorophyll tutorial?

Well today that tutorial is being featured on Splitcoaststampers today, and I added a little twist this time.

I made lots and lots of really beautiful prints from my garden, and then I added just tiny bits of shading with Daniel Smith watercolor and this STUNNING, tiny detailed paintbrush I bought in Santa Fe - it's like painting with a single hair plucked from the tail of a unicorn!  Or something like that. On this card I added just three colors - those and the brush are linked below. Initially, I just used the shadow violet, but then I thought some brighter notes would be nice. I really didn't add much - the duoprinting did all the heavy lifting. The brown areas on the stem are from the plant. I wrote the name with a super skinny Micron pen.
Chlorophyll printing by understandblue

This Estaceno chile is delicious - it's a New Mexico chile that my sister brought me seeds for when she visited Baker Seed in Missouri. That place is LITERALLY the mother ship of all seeds.

I also printed herbs like parsley, oregano, mint and even my Calamondin Orange. They're all so unique and fun.

Here's a print of my butterfly bush, which hasn't bloomed yet this year, but is a beautiful plant. Lightly accented with Shadow Violet.

Chlorophyll printing by understandblue

I used watercolor paper for these, and to me, the result is more detailed and crisp than when I used cardstock in the original tutorial. Some of them, like this one - look like photographs.

I can't believe how much the watercolor paper and a tiny bit of watercolor shading do for this technique! I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Hope I have some plants left by the time I move on to something else :)

I hope you check out the step by step photos in the tutorial and give this a try!

Loveyameanitbye.

20 comments:

  1. This is the most awesome fun thing we can do!!! Even husband is out in the yard plucking specimens for me to do!!! Don't forget about the dandelions...a bit messy but AWESOME!! Thanks a bunch!! Have a great day full of blessings. Charlotte Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this technique. Going out to raid my garden of leaves and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just awesome - thank you for sharing and thank you for the awesome video !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia, there are times I truly wish I had your knack for finding the unique and wonderful in this world. I clicked on your link to the Baker Seed Company to find an amazing source of what once was. And to think it is only about 4 hours from the house! Next time I head west I will have to make a detour just so I can revel in the marvelousness. Thank you again for sharing all your tremendous finds! The cards are beautiful too. I agree with you - they seem to show up much better on the WC paper rather than the cardstock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Katherine! I want to go there myself - my sister brought us amazing seeds and said the tour was incredible!

      Delete
  5. Your beautiful card is the best kind of inspiration Lydia. Love this and will be giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful Lydia. I tried it with a maple leaf but there was little colour on the positive side And of course less on the other. Can't wait to try other things though, such a great technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tree leaves or anything waxy or shiny don't work as well. It's very addicting!

      Delete
  7. Incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my WORD! I think you just found my newest "thang!!!!" I am in love with these. Great work, Lydia!!! Off to see your tutorial ♥ Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this look! When I tried this the first time, I used plain cardstock, but can't wait to try this method using watercolor paper and a bit of watercolor shading. I like the look of the Richeson Grey Matters brushes too. Funny, just a few days ago I was at a convention and wandered through a nearby art store. I saw Richeson watercolor paper for the first time, liked the looks of it, and bought a pad (and yes, liking the looks of it is an excellent reason for me to buy). Now I remember seeing Grey Matters brushes, got distracted by something else, and never went back to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are amazing! I was thinking they were photographs until I read your post!

    BTW, I emailed you about winning the blog prize "This could be vodka" but don't know if the emails are getting through to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this technique and go for a walk to gather some of the gifts of nature. Your prints are gorgeous.

    I found brushes on Amazon that are wonderful and very inexpensive. The are normal used for nail art so the are tiny and wonderful for laying watercolor or any paint in small places. This is the first company I purchased from and love them: Tenworld 3PCS Dotting Painting Drawing UV Gel Liner Polish Brush Tool Nail Art Pen. I think they were less than $1.50 for three brushes. I used them all the time and the have held up very well. A search for nail art brushes will bring up a nice selection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness! The original duoprinting was gorgeous enough, but your watercolor touches just take this to another level!!!! I can't WAIT to try this technique!!! Glad splitcoaststampers is featuring your tutorial!

    Also, whatever happened to that MISTI storage bag that was featured at Creativation back in January? I checked My Sweet Petunia's website and it's not listed. Did they decide not to release it? It looked fabulous. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Thank you!! You are so sweet!!! The MISTI bag will be out in just a few weeks! The combination of Chinese new year and a fabric shortage really slowed it down. But it's a FABULOUS bag! Everyone who came to my retreat got one! :)

      Delete
    2. Ohhhh, thank you so much for updating us! Now there's one more reason to be jealous of all your retreaters!!!

      Delete
  13. WOW...officially rendered speechless by your creativity here!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing! It's time to go leaf collecting again.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...