Thursday, February 23, 2012

If There's a Cure For The Blues, Please Don't Tell Me

Sometimes, people who know I love blue will send me beautiful photos of blue Morpho butterflies. I actually have a framed Morpho on my desk. They are some of the most stunning creatures on earth. They are the world's most perfect blue, with a shimmer - nature's glitter. I would love to see a whole swarm of them in real life.

I was telling someone the other day that where I grew up, we had GIANT butterflies - just huge - bigger than a softball or a good sized Texas grapefruit. They were blue or yellow and they were amazing. Some of the other bugs that weren't nearly as pretty also got frighteningly large, but the butterflies made it all worth it.


When I saw that Moxie Fab world issued a "Cure for the winter blues" challenge, there wasn't even a second's hesitation in my mind about what I was going to do. It had to be the butterfly. 

So here's what I did. 

First, I inked up the butterfly from Wonderful Wings (retired) in Bashful Blue. I stamped off once, and then stamped it on a white card base. Then I filled it in with the same color ink for a shadow. 

Next, I wanted to do a Bokeh effect, because I've been playing with photography Iphone apps, and the Bokeh effect is one of my faves. I read about it for my real photography in this book - Creative Composition. Basically it just means little spots of light. To make my Bokeh, I took a pencil with one of those nice smooth white erasers (I don't use regular pencils outside of this application, so all my erasers are perfect circles) and I inked it on my blue ink pad and stamped all over the card. Then, I scribbled some metallic blue gelato onto the lid of my stamp case and misted it and used that with the eraser - you can see the shimmer in the photo above. 
To color the butterfly, I used a water brush and a PITT artist pen - big brush - to shade it. Then I went back over the dots on the edges of the wings with a metallic PITT pen. It's so shimmery up close - the sunlight kind of washes that out in my photo. I cut it out and I also cut in between the upper and lower wing sections for dimension.

The sentiment is retired, but one of my favorites - it's from Nature's Secret and my beloved Richard Bach. I'm so glad I kept both of these stamp sets.

If there's a cure for the blues, I don't want to know about it.

Loveyameanitbye.

20 comments:

  1. You are truly an artist.....just lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really awesome! I love the background behind the butterfly and just the whole overall thing is really visually powerful... LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is nothing short of stunning Lydia!! My oh my is that butterfly ever gorgeous!! I got to tour a butterfly garden in Seattle once and could have stayed forever it I didn't have a "toe tappin'" husband along!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Bokeh effect. The whole card is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning card Lydia, love the colors of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fabulous card and the bokeh effect tops it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness gracious, Lydia! This is exquisite!! I love the neat little tricks you share so freely with us, to say nothing of the wonderful humor and life's lessons (referring to the William Hung story here) Keep 'em coming - you are a blessing to us all!!

    I tnoticy that you are never seem to be under great ndiress! LOL, oh well, I tried to use your verification words!! they are just mispelled!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just stunning!I love the blue..the butterfly..the extras..just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You hit it out of the park with this, Missy. Love the softness and that vibrant blue... Gotta try this technique... *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ths card is just perfect, just BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your work of art. The Boken effect is perfect. The blues are lovely. And the sentiment powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lydia! Thanks for linking this up to the Cure for the Winter Blues Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lydia, this is drop dead gorgeous! What a lovely tribute to your favorite color and your favorite butterfly! Beautifully done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!!!! Your butterfly looks real

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lydia, this looks amazing! I think I might have to check out that book you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Love the huge butterfly and your awesome technique. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Had to come over & leave you some "love" here too, Lydia! This is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing how you did this! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...