Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Drunken Acrylic

Today I am doing the tutorial for Splitcoaststampers' Weekly Inkling newsletter. It's one I've sat on for quite a while - but it's actually the technique I used for last year's Christmas cards, which you can see here.

I wanted to have my retreat peeps be the first people to learn the technique, and we had so much fun with it in September.

As a matter of fact, right this very minute I'm teaching this technique at my Salt Lake City mini retreat before OnStage! It's a magical and wonderful technique - and it's different every single time you do it. The video is less than five minutes, and I know your mind will be blown :).

The cool thing about this technique, is that the order that you use your colors in make a huge difference in the final look. On those Christmas cards, I started with yellow, then went to blue, than magenta. Very different from this striking piece, which was yellow, then fluorescent magenta, then Cobalt Turquoise. I used the Hero Arts skylines dies to cut a negative space from the panel, and then mounted it on black cardstock. (I'm going to list the supplies for all three cards under this first one, since many overlap.) You do need watercolor paper for this technique.
Drunken Acrylic Reveal Technique by Understand Blue
LUKAS CRYL Studio 125 ml Tube -...
[ AMZUS ]
Lukas Cryl Liquid Acrylic - Cadmium...
[ AMZUS ]
LUKAS CRYL Liquid Acrylic 250 ml...
[ AMZUS ]
Unicorn Dreams – Pinkfresh Studio
[ PNK | SSS | SBC ]
Unicorn dreams Die set – Pinkfresh...
[ PNK | SBC | SSS ]
Concord and 9th - Clear Acrylic...
[ SBC | SSS | C&9 ]
Unicorn dies
[ C&9 | SSS ]
Skylines Fancy Dies
[ HA | SSS | ELH | SBC ]
Halftone Circles Bundle
[ ALTN | SSS | ELH | SBC ]
Altenew HALFTONE CIRCLES DIE Set
[ SSS | ELH | SBC ]
Altenew HALFTONE CIRCLES NESTING DIE
[ SSS | ELH | SBC ]
Simon Says Stamp WONKY HEARTS Wafer...
[ SSS ]
Copic Marker GASENFUDE Nylon Brush...
[ SSS | BLIC ]
91% Rubbing Alcohol
[ AMZUS ]
Multipurpose Liquid Glue by Stampin' Up!
[ SUP ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSW ]
MISTI Stamping Tool - The Most...
[ SBC ]
My Sweet Petunia MISTI Laser Etched...
[ ELH ]
MISTI PRECISION STAMPER Stamping Tool...
[ SSS ]
Absorber - Synthetic Cleaning Cloth
[ AMZUS ]
Basic Black 8-1/2" X 11" Cardstock by...
[ SUP ]
Whisper White Cardstock - Thick
[ SUP ]
Fabriano Extra White Cold Press...
[ BLIC ]
Big Shot by Stampin' Up!
[ SUP ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC | AMZUS ]
Unicorn Dreams – Pinkfresh Studio
[ PNK ]

Then I took the bottom piece that the Skylines die cut out of the top piece and mounted that on white cardstock for an equal amount of drama. It's hard to see here, but that Hello from Altenew's Halftone Circles is actually cut out with the matching dies and glued on the card base.
Drunken Acrylic Reveal Technique by Understand Blue
For the last card, I had to use white on top - this is fun because all three colors show through, but the white mutes it a bit. To me, it looked very rainbow + unicornish, so it gave me a chance to play with a new stamp set I hadn't used yet - the Pinkfresh Studio Unicorn Dreams Set. I love all the animals she has with those wonderful sort of Scandinavian designs on them. I had to make this unicorn mine. This set has matching dies, but I actually fussy cut it so as not to have a border, and then used my Gasenfude pen to color the edges. I love that thing for this purpose. The sentiment is from Concord & 9th's Unicorn Awesomeness set. I cut the acrylic piece out with the Simon Says Stamp Wonky Hearts die.
Unicorn Magic by Understand Blue
So head over to Splitcoast today for the step by step photos, and check out this simple technique video here.


Now I'm off getting sneak peeks of the upcoming Stampin' Up! catalog so stand by for samples with those!

Loveyameanitbye.

3 comments:

  1. All ar awesome but the Unicorn piece is my favorite! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a fun technique — thanks Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous. They are unique, vibrant, and filled with energy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...