Thursday, April 27, 2017

Absence < Presence


I have a high tolerance for pain.

I've had several surgeries, an ankle injury so bad in 2001 that the TSA TO THIS DAY pats that ankle down every time I go through the magic look-at-you-nekkid machine, and I get four allergy shots a week. None of that is NEARLY as big a deal as two bouts of the ABSENCE of pain I've had recently.

Three years ago, as detailed here, I made the mistake of picking up something I thought was a pistachio shell, and received a near-deadly sting, which left my arm BOTH numb and tingly for many months.

The numbness was the most uncomfortable and disturbing thing I've ever endured. So much more uncomfortable than pain, and I never got any break from it during the time it took for the toxins, which can be deadly, to fade out of my system. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. DO NOT PICK UP THINGS THAT LOOK LIKE PISTACHIOS WITHOUT YOUR GLASSES ON AND YOUR FULL ATTENTION TO DETAIL IN PLACE.

Right now, I'm experiencing something similar. I caught a weird cough in Ohio earlier this month. No sore throat, no fever, nothing but a cough. And by the time I got to Shreveport on the 8th - I had mysteriously lost my ability to taste and smell.

AND I STILL CAN'T.

Absence of a sense is WAY worse than the presence of pain, believe me. I can't wait until it comes back. What's unnerving about not being able to smell is that you can't identify threats - I don't know if my food is spoiled, if there's dog poop in the neighborhood, if I've left the gas on. If you wanted to commit a perfect crime, first, infect someone with this ailment. Then, delete your browsing history for my blog, and then serve your victim some three year old milk or something. They will never be the wiser.

Actually, you shouldn't do that. That's mean. You'll get in a lot of trouble. I've been reading lots of non-fiction crime books lately and one guy said something like "criminals make 20 mistakes and only remember 19". No such thing as the perfect crime. Behave yourselves. I mean it.

ANYWAY - what brought all this to mind is that my neighbors are moving :(. Good neighbors are hard to find, and I will miss them and their pets. They were good, nice, quiet and drama-free neighbors. It's always scary to get new ones. What if they like to have loud parties? What if they have a barking dog? What if they are pyromaniacs or politicians? These are all the things I worry about - especially the politicians.

So that's another example of how the absence of something can be much worse than the presence of something. So cross your fingers for us, and for our current neighbors that they get new neighbors as awesome as us :).

In preparation for whoever will move in across the street, I thought I should make a card to welcome them to the neighborhood. Homes in our neighborhood sell lightning fast, so I know I don't have much time, and if I don't do it now, I'll be showing up at their door after they've lived here for three years with a welcome gift.

THE CUTEST host set of them all is in the new catalog and was perfect for the occasion. It's a builder set, so it's perfect for the MISTI, and all the little bibs and bobs that you can build the houses with are so adorable.
In the City Stamp set by UnderstandBlue


First, I stamped and masked the little lime green car, which I really hope my neighbors have, with Post-It tape. Then I stamped the houses so that the masked car would be in front. If I had been smart, I would have stamped the tree too, and masked it so that it was a little in front of that left-most house. Next time I play with this set there will be a lot more trees, as our neighborhood is very shady. With trees, I mean - not full of suspicious characters. Hopefully our new neighbors don't make it that kind of shady!

Each of these stamps has layers that you can stamp in different colors, and to me it ends up looking like a children's book illustration and I love it. And guess how many stamps come in this set?

sixty stamps
Yes, sixty! Great stamp set.

You can earn this one for free with your very first order in June - so don't miss out. If you want to do a Facebook party to earn this and other freebies, just contact me with the form on the right.

I'll be baking cookies for my new neighbors until then. :)

PS - Remember, if you want a starter kit, you do not have to wait until June to get all the new goodies - you can pre-order on May 2nd. The kit gives you a 20% discount, and is truly no strings attached. You'll be able to attend my team events in June and September, and will have access to my private FB group for challenges and inspiration. Check it out here.

Have a great weekend - I'm getting Google Fiber installed tomorrow, so I'll be able to post cat memes EVEN FASTER from now on!

Loveyameanitbye.

51 comments:

  1. Such a cute card, Lydia! I adore the colors you've used and the simplicity of your card. Such fun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Lydia! I am so sorry you can smell or taste - what the heck???? I hope you are back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google Fiber!! I am SO jealous!! Good luck on the new neighbors, I am lucky in that department. Did you find out what you actually picked up? A scorpion? I too have a high tolerance for pain, isn't absence heavenly! I get almost giddy. Your card is so cute, I like the sentiment too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cards always ! And love your personal stories ! You always make me smile ! TFS - always

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sarcasm and sense of humor.
    That aside, I wish you the quick return of your senses...namely taste and smell.
    Like , what good is chocolate if you can't taste and smell it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay first,wow, I hope that your cough goes away and second, holy scary caterpillar batman!!! One more thing to look out for when I move to Texas. I hope you don'the get shady neighbors. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. God's choicest blessing for a speedy recovery. Can't imagine not being able to smell or taste chocolate, my addiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better soon. Your card is cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the card. Yikes hope your sense of smell and taste return soon. And hope your new neighbors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours is the first blog that I've ever read. I love how you write. I will continue to check your blog out. The card is so cute. I just made several cards for a friend that just moved and needed change of address cards. How thoughtful of you to make one for a new neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you are feeling better! Love the card! Nice work as always

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once lost my taste and smile, I think they are related somehow? anyways, it took a bit of time for it to come back.. and what a relief it was.. cause I couldn't taste any flavors in my food, so I kept trying to find something that tasted good. :) I will pray for your senses to come back. :) and now you get GOOGLE FIBER, at least that sweetens the day! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your card and your blog. Each card tells a story. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your ailment, Lydia! I've often thought it might be good to lose my sense of taste -- maybe then I can get into healthy foods and give up sugar. But I never thought of the downside of not being able to detect bad foods. Good perspective to keep in mind! I hope taste and smell come back soon!!

    As for the stamp set...60 stamps? That scares me. I just KNOW I'd end up with only 59 the first time I use it. lol Great card. And thanks for the Stamping Junkies giveaway. Oh, and final thing...I miss Crafty Chat!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lydia, I love your sense of humor in sharing your story. I am so sorry for all you've been thru!
    You should research DE, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, which is an all natural, chock full of mineral powder that can be used in so many ways. I take it orally, 2 heaping TBS when I first start feeling sick and it kills off whatever bacteria or virus is trying to make me sick. Have had 3 bouts of food poisoning that I stopped dead in its tracks by taking DE. Have prevented the beginning of a cold virus from taking hold and not gotten sick. I also use it topically to treat stings by making a paste, applying and allowing to dry which pulls out the venom. Anyway, sounds like you'd benefit from having some on hand and taking regularly to help your body heal and recover from all it's been thru.
    Have been a fan of your for about two years now and love your art! Thank you for sharing. Love this "Welcome to the Neighborhood" card, and the "Little Girl in the Corner" card!
    I have also this year started making my own YT videos and my channel is Roberta's Artistic Adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also great for lowering cholesterol, my number dropped 68 points in 3 months.

      Delete
  16. Hi.... It is so very generous of you to make a card even while you aren't in the best of your health... You neighbors are surely lucky to have you around... Lol.... Have a speedy recovery and hope you have the neighbors as you expect... Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cute card :) love the sweet lil scene created.
    cheers
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! Good neighbors are hard to come by. We had such a good set of neighbors at our previous house; it's just not the same in our new home. Anyway, I love houses, and this stamp set is adorable! Can't wait to get my hands on this set!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so jealous of your Google Fiber, lol!! I had a cough like yours a few weeks ago (I'm in Texas, too), and the only thing that helped me was a humidifier in my home office/craft room, to keep the air moist. Constant coughing annoys me so much, and I know my family was getting annoyed with me, too, haha. I hope you start feeling better soon! Love your newest card. ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love you card like always. Cute and clean. Hope you feel better now. Also hope you get awesome new neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok.. so I want to know what that little "Pistachio bug" was.. you know.. just in case I see a nut on the ground.. I took zyrtek for my allergies and lost my sense of taste and smell and everything tasted like cardboard (not that I've tasted cardboard but it's what I bet cardboard would taste like if I did try it). It . Was . Horrible to loose those senses, but better than sight or hearing (we all need to live a grateful life).. it sucked the joy out of eating and I couldn't even smell a freshly cut lawn! I feel so bad for you Lydia, here's hoping your senses come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the idea for a card for a new neighbor...I should make a card or two, incase we get any new ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your welcome card and the cute houses! I love seeing what you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you feel better soon love your welcome to the block card. Looks like something I would like . Thanks for sharing and thanks for your giveaway to Stamp Junkies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wishing you a speedy recovery on getting your sense back. Your card is so cute. Hope you get as good of neighbors as yourself also! ��

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the little card!! I love anything to do with little houses. So sorry about your sting! What a horrible thing to go through! Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your card is darling, and I hope you get great New neighbors! Hope your health problem is nothing serious. Hugs❤️

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the colors of the houses!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good luck with the new neighbors! I know they'll be getting a great neighbor. This cute little card will be a a very nice welcome. Hope you get your missing senses back soon...how terrible that must be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very cute card! Your neighbors are lucky! �� Hope you're feeling better soon. I love food and can't imagine not tasting anything :-(. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lol I never quite know where you're blog posts will go based on the titles but it's already a fun journey! That's why I stated following your blog awhile ago! (BTW, no fuzzy looking pistachio shells in Alaska!).

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love you blog, and enjoyed the read. I love the little card, and the masking. I always want to do masking and forgot to pull it off. Keep up the good work, and thanks for donating to the birthday on Stamp Junkies.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I havent been too blessed in the fantastic neighbor department but a few have made me appreciate the quiet ones i do live near :)
    Cute set. Thats a lot of pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Scary story, glad you are all right. Love this little card. I had no idea that the MISTI was helpful with builder sets. TY

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a beautiful and simple card. Lovely for a house warming card. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hope you feel better soon

    Love your card. I'm always crazy about building stamps. You really created a nice scene with the masking.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Adorable card! Awesome idea for new neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wishing lots of well wishes. Wow, 60 stamps would make a great starter kit!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Since I just moved, this would be a great set!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very cute card & so creative! Hope you are on the mend soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. cute card, I would love to drive a lime green car

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sorry your neighbors are moving..the new ones are lucky ducks to have you, the kitties and "the other" as neighbors

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very cute card, hope that you feel better soon and get some new great neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  44. The card is very pretty! Your neighbors are going to love it.
    Do take care of yourself. Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the simplicity of the card as well as the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...