Monday, April 24, 2017

A Paper Pumpkin Thing Blog Hop

Happy Monday!

I'm just back from working at a show in Boston this past weekend, and while I was there, my friend Pam asked me if I wanted to be part of a blog hop today featuring the Paper Pumpkin Kit for April, designed by Sara Douglass.

I actually had my kits with me on that trip - I love doing those in hotels to wind down from crazy days at shows - it is fun and relaxing to just CRAFT, without having to design anything, and also to come home from a trip with some cards I can mail.

This kit was really fun and different. It came in a super sassy black and white box, with accents of our new ink color - Lemon Lime Twist - that will be in the catalog in June. It was so punchy and high contrast and all the things I love. There was also a little watercolor and a lot of black and white - seriously - all my favorite things. Well - minus cats. Not sure if Sara is a cat person, despite the numerous cats I've photoshopped onto her during her #catvention presentations.

But I wanted to do something using the AMAZING envelopes that came in the kit. I love it when they give us fun envies, which is happening more and more often in these kits. This month takes the cake. Black and white and splattered with a fun striped inside.

I wanted to highlight Sara's adorable color choice with a card that popped into my head as soon as I saw the sneak peek of the box.

It just cried out for a little T-rex. :)

Paper Pumpkin alternate by UnderstandBlue



Isn't he the cutest??

I did a couple fun tricks to make this card.

First - I cut down the envelope to 4" x 5.25" so I could fit it on a card front, and put glue on the two open sides to seal it closed. Then, I lined up the "wild about you" sentiment in my MISTI until the edge of the white section went between the I and the L.

I stamped the sentiment first in black ink - so half the image shows in the white part - the other half doesn't show on the black envelope. I made sure the ink on the black side was dry, and then used my embossing buddy to be sure it wouldn't pick up stray embossing powder.

I used Post-It masking tape to mask the right side of the white rectangle which would normally be for your address, where the black part of my sentiment was. Then I re-inked the stamp in white ink, and embossed with white embossing to have the second half of the sentiment pop in white.

The T-Rex and the sentiment are from a set that will be in the new catalog called Pieces & Patterns - not available until June 1. It's completely adorable and perfect for this kit! (If you do not already have a demonstrator and would like a catalog when it comes out - fill out my catalog request form.)

To color the T-Rex, I just scribbled the blue and yellow pencils on top of each other on a scrap of watercolor paper, picked some up with a wet Aquapainter, and painted him. This is an easy way to get quick, blended color. Since I was fussy cutting him, I didn't even have to stay in the lines.

Watercolor Pencil Coloring tip by UnderstandBlue


Here's what the card kit looks like without a T-Rex. So fun. It came with four mini watercolor pencils and a little paintbrush as a gift.



I really hope we have more Sara-inspired card kits - this one was certainly a home run.

Paper Pumpkin is a monthly kit, featuring both cards and some 3D items - you can pre-pay for a kit, or get a subscription - just note that you have to be subscribed by the 10th of the month to get that month's kit. Each kit comes with paper, adhesive, stamps, ink and accessories - and your first kit comes with a clear block. It's $19.95 per month/kit - with free shipping.

Once the kit has shipped, refills become available while supplies last which contain all of that month's consumables (no stamp set or ink will be included).

So if you want to see some incredibly creative projects that are really outside of the Paper Pumpkin box, visit these lovely ladies to see what they've done with it.


We are giving away a very special prize to one visitor today - one of your very own Sara Thing Paper Pumpkin kits! If you leave a comment on all these designers' blogs, you will be entered to win this kit and put your own T-Rex on it :). Drawing closes on Saturday, April 29th at 9 PM EST. The winner will be announced on Monday, May 1, 2017.

The next blog on the hop is Andrea's! Hop on over!

Thanks for stopping by today. 

loveyameanitbye.

62 comments:

  1. GAHH!!!! He is the cutest little guy - and such a pop of color on that envelope -- brilliant idea! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kit! And love what you did with it more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Popped into my FB feed and I had to come take a look! Love the black and white with pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative! Never would have thought yo do that! Great idea!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what so great about Paper Pumpkin...you can take it with you wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandson would love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dinosaur is too cute! Great idea combining the two colors to get that bright green! I love to do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that cute dinosaur! Love this card! nataliewoll2902@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute alternative card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute alternate card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, the tiny T-Rex...doing the Lemon Lime Twist! Now we just need a color called The Mashed Potato, and he'll be ready for the (retro) dance floor ;-) Super cute <3 Thanks for sharing :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your tricks!!! Can't wait to go try it! Thanks for sharing your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cutest little dino! These bold colors on black are so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really cute. I would have never thought of something like that. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that's so cute. I would have never thought of that. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just think it's so cute. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He looks like our new Lemon Lime Twist? Great job matching the color. Great card for children of all ages! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute way to cute the kit into a little boy's card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute. Perfect for a little grandson

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very happy card!😊😊💕

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the new Lemon Lime Twist, especially with the black. Can hardly wait to get my hands on some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute! Thanks for sharing this! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your card made me laugh! So cute... loved your mixing the pencils for your color. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the Dino. I love the fact that he uses the envelope labeled which means that's the part I can use when I've used some of the other points for other projects

    ReplyDelete
  26. Reminded me of a small green dino that my son made for my mom when he was 8. Lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an adorable card Lydia! I love how you've created your own lime green by blending the pencils together 1st! So happy to be hopping with you & this team! Cheers! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cute! Love the black and white stamping :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cute. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a cute card my grandson will love this thanks you for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  31. such a cute card idea my grandson will love this he is very into dino's thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a cute t-rex! Great little boy card!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an adorable card! My grandson would love to receive this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Who doesn't ❤️Paper Pumpkin & dinosaurs! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  35. April kit is a fun one, I enjoy checking out everyone's take on it. Their alternatives .. thank u for the awesome giviway.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the T-Rex! So cute and pops perfect off the clean black and white background.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a cute card. I love the black and white with the pop of color from the cute T-Rex.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, that is so adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So cute!!! I love the make your own color with the pencils technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. hadn't thought of coloring on scrap paper with 2 colors and then painting them. I will have to try that

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is adorable!!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Green T-Rex?? Greatest creature and the best colour.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Great idea sharing a $100 shopping spree.
    Yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like what you did with the kit! I did it exactly as designed, because I really liked what they did this time!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Lydia, Your card with the T-Rex is so cute that it makes me anxious to see the new catalog. I love how you made the green color by mixing two colors.... so smart!! The card is cute and could make a nice BD card for a child, too! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great envelope idea!I have always wanted to try these kits.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great envelope idea! I have always wanted to try these kits.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I loved this PP and what you have done with it! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...