Sunday, November 3, 2013

Oh Deer!

It's opening weekend of deer season this weekend in the Great Republic. The Other has been off hunting all weekend, which means that I have eaten nothing but vegetables and taken art class all weekend. I told Lori I was super excited because this is three days I don't have to eat chicken. The Other loves chicken. I love acorn squash.

Oh, speaking of, you MUST make these Martha Stewart acorn squash that sweet Bev introduced me to. This is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

However, as I do not have any chainsaw wielding servants around the house, let me give you a tip that was not available to me prior to trying this recipe. Stab your squash a few times and then microwave it for a few minutes before cutting it in half. This will keep you from cursing me and/or cutting your hand off. Highly recommend.

Then do this, and whisper my name. :)

AHmazing Martha Stewart Acorn Squash

Preheat oven to 425. After stabbing and nuking your acorn squash, cut it in half as evenly as possible. Slice a wee bit off each end also so that they sit level. Scoop out all the seeds. Gross.

Butter a piece of parchment paper and put it on a cookie sheet with sides, and put the squash cut side down on the buttery paper. Bake for 25 minutes. Pull them out and pierce the insides all over with a fork. I forgot this step, which means I ended up with little buttery brown sugar hot tubs inside my squash - which was fine, but do what I tell you to do please. No back talk. Sprinkle each half with salt and pepper, and then put 1 TBS of butter and 1 TBS of brown sugar in each half. Return to the oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until delightfully soft and squishy.

My friend Rebecca brulees the sugar on top after they come out with a torch, which I thought was brilliant.

I think a tiny dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream on these would be divine, but God knows I can't leave anything without a ton of dairy products alone. 

Best part? No dishes to do!

Original recipe here.

Today is Challenge Chicks challenge day! Sweet Kelly is our hostess today and she gave us this sketch:



Pin It

So I made my deer season card by taking a full sheet of labels - I used this kind - and running it through my big shot with my Ovals Framelit to make a mask.


I stamped the deer from Remembering Christmas in black on my card front and then placed the mask over it. I patted the label paper on my jeans a few times to remove some of the tackiness before putting it on my card. You can also pat it on your cat or dog - whatever you have handy.

Then I took a long Post-it™ note and tore it in that mountain shape. Keep both halves of the Post-it - you'll need them. I put the mountain shaped one on the bottom and sprayed the top half of the card with a mixture of Tempting Turquoise and rubbing alcohol. Then I took the negative of the mountains and masked off what I just sprayed. I sprayed the bottom with a mixture of Butterscotch and Terra Cotta Adirondack Color washes.

I removed all masks and pierced the left edge for the vertical sketch element with my piercing tool & mat. 

Wow - just noticed - that's an 11 point buck! And I didn't even have to leave the house!

Hope you're having a good weekend. I'm off to day two of my drawing class which I'll tell you about soon.

Loveyameanitbye.



3 comments:

  1. Love the card, love the recipe!
    But save those seeds and plant them in your garden next year ... you will have boatloads of yummy squash, homegrown, to enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun take on the sketch! I might need to stop back and check out the recipe again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubs is the acorn squash lover, I love butternut squash, made similar to the recipe you shared...but WAYYYY more butter and brown sugar, plus some cinnamon. My baked squash MUST have cinnamon. I also love the butternut squash soup my hubby makes. He cuts it all up (so I don't cut my hand, because I will) and puts it in a pot and boils it, along with some white onions, then just purees it with a hand blender, right there in the same pot on the stove. It's delicious--but I *must* have mine with a huge raft (more like a luxury liner) of sour cream floating across it. And it must be Daisy full-fat sour cream.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...