Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rejection Therapy

A friend sent me a link to this fascinating site called Rejection Therapy.

It's based on a pretty simple and familiar idea, but it's very beautifully expressed here and has some fun little exercises, most of which you already experience every day.For example, every day on my walk, I say to HI to people I pass.
Some of them just astonishingly rudely never even look at me and walk right past. It floors me every single time. That is some serious rejection when someone is a foot from you.

When I moved to New York for college, I had this same feeling every day.

People who say hello to strangers in New York are considered mental defectives, or possibly hookers. But I didn't stop saying hello to people. I just carried my personal Texas with me, and if people didn't like it or thought I was insane, well so be it. Maybe that made them giggle - like, "hey - check out crazy HI lady with the funny accent!" A giggle is always a happy ending. :)

So today I bring you some rejection therapy. I came up with a fun little technique that I submitted to be considered for a demonstration at the regional in Ft. Worth and - BAM! Rejected! :(

BUT - it's cute as heck, and so I'm giving to all of you instead! That's therapy, right? So I'm gonna enter this in Shelli's Creative Challenge instead!!

Now what this technique does is give you new and different way to use your embossing folders. Have you ever just wanted a stamp that looked like your Vintage Wallpaper Embossing Folder? Maybe you didn't want the raised surface, just the pattern, like this...Maybe you wanted a stamp that looked just like our fun spiderweb embossing folder! I did.

So I'm gonna show you how to do this in a fun video tutorial.

In exchange for this tutorial today, I want you all to be sure and visit my friend Carolyn King, who is doing her AMAZING Heart to Heart card drive to benefit the caregivers who do the incredible job of caring for those suffering from Alzheimer's disease. You can send a card, see some gorgeous creations, read her inspiring story, and win more than $1000 in stamping goodies, just for doing a good deed!

So you ready?

Take a gander. (If you don't see a video player below, click here)

9 comments:

  1. Love the technique...love the cards!! I'll try this as soon as I can find a white crayon. :) Hmm...I live close to an elementary school...should I mug a kid for one? ;) KIDDING!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. omigosh!! I so understand the rejection thing!! When I first moved to the northeast, we visited Boston--well, my friends were quite shocked when I started saying Hi to everyone!!! Do they just do that in Texas?!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm really surprised that your idea for using the TI folders in this manner was rejected. i'm particularly miffed because you are such an at-ease, witty presenter! perhaps you should send shelli the card since i'm sure SHE didn't reject you!

    great job...i'm going to try this, since i'm addicted to the TI folders and can't stop buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card, Lydia! I'm going to dig out my embossing folders now.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome technique.
    That card is soo cool! LOVE your rejection therapy (laughing cause i am from PA and when i moved south i had similar experiences in reverse! lol)

    Thanks so much for all your help with the Heart to Heart card drive!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is gorgeous! You may certainly send it to me because I love spiders and this little girl is soooooo pretty! She reminds me of Charlotte.
    Nuts, I don't have this embossing folder, but I do have the one that coordinates with 5th Avenue Floral, so my kids will be short one white crayon today! :))
    -----Shala

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently found your blog and love it! I live in the suburbs of NY but grew up in Brooklyn and Queens. I apologize for all the A holes who don't have the common courtesy to say hi back. Doesn't cost anything to be nice and not everyone is a serial killer or rapist - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You TOTALLY should have been accepted! Love the technique!

    WV: astyo

    When I astyo a questions, I expect an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fun and ingenious and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...