Tuesday, March 12, 2019

My Default Sentiment Strategy & Double Dipping

When I design a card, I do tend to pick out both the image and the sentiment before I start creating.

I do that for a couple reasons. First and foremost I like to tell a story on my cards, so when I come up with the images I want to work with I've usually made up the story in my head before I sit down to Airtable to look in my inventory for just the right words. Airtable is the bomb for this by the way.

But then when I find the sentiment, I have to make sure it fits - if I have a vertical card, it can't be a long horizontal sentiment. If the images are elegant, I can't have a cutesy font, etc.

The second thing I do when I'm totally enamored with a cute image, like I am today, I tend to reach for sentiments for the cards I send the most - which are birthday and thank you cards. Those two are my defaults.

As a child of a redacted decade, I LOVE all images of red and white mushrooms. (Did you know these are called fly agaric mushrooms? Obscure bit of triva for your Tuesday.)

So when this adorable little set made its way into my heart, I couldn't wait to make a little scene. This is one of the rare times when the most recent set I've gotten is the one I'm using - usually I'm a few months behind. Or years. But this didn't get filed away for later use - it came to live on my desk until I could watercolor it.

First, I stamped the images in Versafine Clair on cold press watercolor paper in my MISTI a few times to get good coverage.Then I die cut them both with the matching dies and started to paint. Why in that order, you ask? Because I'm not going to spend an hour painting something and then screw it up if the die shifts while I'm cutting it. That would make me very sweary.

I put them onto a beautiful piece of watercolor patterned paper of grass and a sky, but sadly, it's retired. I'm hoarding my sheet of it, so you know how much I love you guys since I brought it out today.

Then I stamped this sentiment next to them and glued the whole panel onto a card front.

Now the next thing people ask me is what I stamp inside my cards. And the answer is - nothing! I like to leave as much space as possible for my messy scrawl on the inside.

But now - I'm not even going to do THAT, because I love these A2 sized sticky notes you can put in either a horizontal or vertical card! You can write your message on one of these, stick it inside the card, and then your friend can send that same card to someone who needs a lift! That's why they are called double dip notes - each card has at least two lives. And if a lot of people use them they can go on and on like that chick's heart in the Titanic. How cool are these?? They say "this card was made with love - share the love by sending this on to a friend who could use a smile." They come in a package with two pads - a horizontal one and a vertical one. See them here.


It's the little things, right? You can see everything I used today below. Loveyameanitbye.

Under the Toadstool
[ TE ]
Under the Toadstool Dies
[ TE ]
Double Dip Notes
[ MSP ]
VersaFine Clair Ink Pad, Nocturne -...
[ ELH | SSS ]
Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors
[ BLIC ]
Escoda Versatil Brushes, Travel Round...
[ UTR | BLIC | INK ]
Da Vinci Cosmotop Sable Mix F Brushes...
[ BLIC | ELH ]
Fabriano Extra White Cold Press...
[ BLIC ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSP | HA | SSS | ELH | MFT | UNT ]
Lawn Fawn STAMP SHAMMY Cleaner LF1045
[ SSS | ELH | CST | ART ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC ]
Nesting Porcelain Bowls - BLICK art...
[ BLIC ]
My Favorite Watercolor Sketchbook
[ UTR ]
Tombow MONO MULTI Liquid Glue Two...
[ SSS | MFT ]
LightView 2in1 LED Magnifier for...
[ BRG ]

6 comments:

  1. I adore red and white mushrooms 🍄, too! (#wombsisters). I love your double -dipping idea! Also, that background paper is dreamy, but I’ll bet you could reproduce it in a nanosecond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stinking cute! And the pads! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Love that background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! I have figured out a few tasks that need to go in a certain order to keep me from getting sweary too! I feel so smart when I have figured out a plan! Makes me cry or sweary or both to waste
    art supplies and time! I love those notes! What a terrific idea. I sometimes use lined sticky notes for that purpose but these notes are much nicer. I love that they come with the instructions to pass the card on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable card, and the background patterned paper is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a darling little card! Love that gnome and that fun background!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...