Sunday, September 9, 2018

MONSTERS, ink

For the second day of my retreat, we focused exclusively on watercolor. It was so much fun to spend a day in my favorite medium with people of all experience levels.

We started the day with a class on the basics of paper, pigment and brush, then blending, then a super fun powdered watercolor technique, then we made a little travel watercolor journal with a super cool die by Eileen Hull that my friend Kellie loaned me. I cut the covers out of some luxurious blue leather I had purchased when I visited Concord & 9th a few weeks ago, and then we laced elastic through the spine to hold folded watercolor paper that can be switched out when the pages are full.

The point of that project was that you should always travel with your art so that you can practice with no pressure to finish anything. I hope everyone who came does that and fills up their books quickly.

Thankfully we didn't ALL have to say goodbye today - many are in Austin for two days of shenanigans. So watch for pics on Facebook and Instagram.

ANYWAY - let's get to the point of this blog post, which is the HOT OF THE PRESSES Stamptember release, which is a collaboration with Greg & Angie and it is ADORABLE.

I got my start in the designer business because of monsters, and they are absolutely still my fave. Well, maybe I should say mythical creatures, because my favorite "monsters" aren't scary. They're wistful and sweet and sort of misunderstood. More like Where the Wild Things Are types of creatures.

So that's why I am so excited about the first Stamptember exclusive that I've had this year - IT'S SO ADORABLE.
Monster birthday card by Understand Blue



Concord & 9th MONSTER HUGS* Bundle
[ SSS ]
Simon Says Stamp Action Wobble...
[ SSS ]
Fadeout No Line coloring Detail Ink
[ INK ]
Tsukineko VersaFine Clair MORNING...
[ SSS ]
Tsukineko VersaFine Clair NOCTURNE...
[ SSS ]
Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors
[ BLIC ]
Escoda Versatil Brushes, Travel Round...
[ UTR | BLIC | INK ]
Simon Says Stamp Card Stock 100# DOLL...
[ SSS ]
Fabriano Extra White Cold Press...
[ BLIC ]
Heavy Base Weight Card Stock- White
[ GNK ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSW | HA | SSS | ELH | MFT | SBC ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC ]
Lawn Fawn STAMP SHAMMY Cleaner LF1045
[ SSS | ELH | CST | ART | SBC ]
Nesting Porcelain Bowls - BLICK art...
[ BLIC ]
My Favorite Watercolor Sketchbook
[ UTR ]
Absorber - Synthetic Cleaning Cloth
[ AMZUS ]
Mudder 10 Pack White Buffer Sanding...
[ AMZUS ]
Xyron ADHESIVE ERASER 23675
[ SSS | ART | AMZUS ]
Simon Says Stamp SMALL TEFLON BONE...
[ SSS ]
Tombow MONO MULTI Liquid Glue Two...
[ SSS | ART | BLIC | ELH ]
Ink Off Cloth
[ INK ]
Sizzix WRAPPED JOURNAL ScoreBoards XL...
[ SSS ]


YOU ARE PRETTY GREAT, LITTLE MONSTER. I LIKE YOU.

To make this card, I stamped it first in Fadeout Ink and then watercolored it with Daniel Smith watercolor. The paw on him is a builder, so I chose the fist closed hand and a balloon string (love that it's cut out to go around the paw without masking) stamped in Morning Mist so it would be softer than black. For the balloon, I stamped it once on the card panel  in Fadeout, watercolored it, and repeated that on a scrap of watercolor paper. Then I cut the scrap one out, stamped three of the sentiments from the set, and mounted it on top of the one painted on the card front with an action wobbler, so it jiggles when you touch it. I mounted that on a card base that I had glued a piece of watercolored paper (painted to match the balloon) to, and matted the monster panel with pink cardstock.

The thing about Stamptember exclusives - I learned the hard way with a cute Neat & Tangled set last year - is that they are while supplies last, so if you like this little toofy dude as much as I do - now's the time.

I can always use both a cute monster and a birthday set.

I hope the week ahead is awesome.

I will be giving some things away after I've had some sleep, so stay tuned for Friday's blog post!

Loveyameanitbye.

4 comments:

  1. You posted that little guy yesterday and it came in my email today and it is also sold out, already. I am going to hope that Concord & 9th will be kind enough to do another run of this sweet fuzzy lookin' guy so that those of us who were busy crafting all weekend and unplugged, can get in on some of the wonderful deals in Stamptember. Thank you so much for sharing - love the little happy non-scary monster dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute monster. With using watercolors, he looks like a plush monster, perfect for hugging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an adorably sweet card! Love your watercoloring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s truly an adorable little monster !!
    [margessw(at)icloud(dot)com]

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...