Friday, June 22, 2018

The Only Legitimate Reason

So twice in my life now, I've gone to get my oil changed, and the dingleberries doing the work have for an inexplicable reason, turned my headlights from auto to ON. Since I don't drive at night very often, I did not notice that my headlights were on, thusly killing my battery overnight.

Now, in my opinion, there is only one legitimate reason for ever wanting manual control of your headlights.

you are trying to hide a body at night, in the woods

Otherwise - auto takes care of all your needs. So why do we still have this setting? And, more importantly - WHY ARE ALL MY MECHANICS CLEARLY STASHING BODIES IN THE WOODS ALL THE TIME?

Only body stashers ever touch their headlight controls, trust me.

So consider this an open letter to all car manufacturers. Quit it. You're just getting people murdered.

You know who I'm pretty sure never needed to stash a body in the woods? Frida Kahlo. Although she WAS a suspect in Trotsky's murder - true story. Artists are complicated people.

Did you know that her childhood home was the "blue house?" La Casa Azul. Fact.

At my retreat, I taught a fun foil tape transfer technique that is super easy, and the image I chose for the sample was a royalty-free image of Frida. (This is a fun source of royalty-free images you can use. I also like this site.) It would also be fun to make cards with a laser print of a personal photo - think personalized invitations, etc.

The sentiment is from Concord & 9th and is one of my faves. The embellishments are little iridescent hole-less flat sequins.
Frida Card by Understand Blue - Foil Tape Transfer
Fill-In Phrases BUNDLE
[ C&9 ]
Aluminum Foil Tape- best for HVAC,...
[ AMZUS ]
Amazon.com: Copper Foil Tape with...
[ AMZUS ]
Aurora Lights | Confetti Mix - Honey...
[ HNB ]
Ranger .5 Oz. MINI MULTI MEDIUM MATTE...
[ SSS | MFT | ART ]
Marvy Uchida JEWEL PICKER Tool 91GRC
[ SSS | MFT ]
Tsukineko VersaFine Clair NOCTURNE...
[ SSS ]
Tsukineko VersaFine Clair NOCTURNE...
[ SSS ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSW | HA | SSS | ELH | SBC | MFT ]
Absorber - Synthetic Cleaning Cloth
[ AMZUS ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC ]
Mudder 10 Pack White Buffer Sanding...
[ AMZUS ]
Xyron ADHESIVE ERASER 23675
[ SSS | ART | AMZUS ]
Essentials by Ellen Storage...
[ ELH ]
Teflon Bone Folder - Ellen Hutson LLC
[ ELH | SSS ]
Heavy Base Weight Card Stock- White
[ GNK ]
Tombow MONO MULTI Liquid Glue Two...
[ SSS | ART | BLIC | ELH ]
Ink Off Cloth
[ INK ]
Ritual | Essential for Women | A...
[ RTL ]

Now speaking of making all the things better, I have a fun new find to share with you today. This comes from my favorite podcast - The Vanished. She had an ad on a few weeks ago about a vitamin that lists the source of every single ingredient on their website! I could not get there fast enough.

If you have been a reader of mine, you know I'm an absolute evangelist about food labeling - and vitamins are extremely tricky both for pets and humans. After my cat was killed by the Iams pet food contamination with ground up melamine from China (they found that melamine looks like protein on chemical tests, so they decided to grind up garbage to cheat the test and put it in cat food AND baby formula) - I became obsessed with where every ingredient of everything that comes into this house comes from. And many, many human and pet vitamins are sourced in China. Vet after vet and my doctor told me it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a non-Chinese vitamin. I don't do well with impossibilities, so I kept looking.

These vitamins I heard about on the podcast are not Chinese. They list the source of every single one of their ingredients, and none are from China. They're cool looking too - they explain why they are clear on the website here.

Ritual Vitamins for Women by Understand Blue

Their capsules are vegan and non-GMO (I try not to ever eat anything with gelatin in it - make a homemade gel printing plate and you'll quickly find out why :) #smellslikedeath), and the ingredients are all bio-available. I have never been able to take any vitamins with iron in them, because they give me a stomach ache, and these do NOT because they use a different form.

So I thought I'd share these miraculous vitamins with you. I'm always willing to try something new when I hear an ad, but it doesn't always work out as well as this did - you win some, you lose some!

I also wanted to share a recipe with you. I made this quick cucumber salad (more like a quick pickling process) for Father's Day and we all loved it. It's definitely cucumber season here, so I am always looking for new salads for my favorite veggie and this is divine. All cold food welcome here in the summer. This recipe is modified from this one.

Ingredients

4 English cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced (don’t use a different onion or God will smite you)
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons fresh dill, minced (dried dill will most definitely not be ideal)

Instructions

Season cucumbers with salt in a large bowl and let sweat 1 hour - don’t skip this - I actually sweated the onions and the cucumbers together because I didn’t read. Works fine :). Drain liquids and toss cucumbers with onion slices.

In a small saucepan over high heat, pour in white vinegar and water and stir in sugar until dissolved and liquid turns clear, 3 to 5 minutes.

Pour over cucumbers and onions (yes, while it’s hot). Stir in dill. Cover with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate 1 hour. Serve cold or at room temperature.
It's really easy and I highly recommend it if you're bringing a dish to a party. It makes a lot of brine, but that's just so that the cucumber soaks in it, so I wouldn't recommend cutting it down. I just used the white vinegar that I clean my veggies with.
So here's the video for the foil tape transfer technique - it's quick and easy - and you just need a laser printed image for it to work.



You DO make all the things better. :)

Loveyameanitdonthideabodyinthewoodsbye.

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand the people who don't put sugar in their cucumber salad. Also - in Indonesia they put carrots and hot chilis in cucumber salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is far out cool. Who knew? HVAC tape lol! My husband is loaded with it! I will try with an inkjet as my laser has constant PMS (years, nonstop). PS I have no idea how to change the auto light setting in our car or truck. Thanks for the cucumber recipe! How do you know so much about serial killers? We grew up in Tacoma when Ted Bundy, yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Another cool thing to do with my aluminum tape. Thanks for sharing, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking maybe you need a break from the True Crime podcasts. Just sayin' ;). My car doesn't always do so well with the auto setting, I have to admit. Sometimes when it is rainy but still just a little sunny, they don't come on when I feel they should. It should be linked so that any time you turn on your windshield wipers, the lights come on, too. Then I wouldn't need the "on" setting.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...