Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Wow Bags

I was talking to my friend Korin yesterday about those early creations we all made when we first got obsessed with stamps.

Now, of course, we think they are so lame and childlike compared to what we make now, but back then, it was like the sea had parted when we had more than one layer on a card (all layers were square of course) or did something crazy like put organdy ribbon on a card.

One of the very first things that just flipped my lid was a "wow bag". I'm so embarrassed to even talk about it. Take a white lunchbag, and using a rolling stamp, roll a hot pink pattern diagonally, then a lime green line, then pink, and so on. Punch two holes in the top and put a huge, hideously bright pink organdy bow on the front. People would literally SCREAM about it at stamp classes back then.

How far we have come, ladies. How. Far. We. Have. Come. Now I guess we're making all the things that will embarrass us in ten years.

Some things stand the test of time though.

I still enjoy coloring directly on my stamps with markers and "huffing" to get multicolored images. I decided to use that for my first....... drum roll please ...... guest spot on the Color Throwdown blog! Squee!! I'll be hanging out there every Wednesday for a while and I'm very excited! This first color combo was MADE for me and this technique too!
How beautiful is that? Here's my take.


Stamps: My Friend, Warmest of Wishes Paper: Whisper White, Crumb Cake Ink:Basic Black 
Accessories: Baja Breeze & Olive Markers, White Twine, Rhinestones
How's that for a wow bag?
 
Come play along with us with this pretty combo and add your link here. 
 

18 comments:

  1. Whoohoo!!!! I'm Sooo glad you will be playing with us, Lydia!!! Your huffin flowers are sooo pretty....the challenge colors worked beautifully!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Lydia! Glad to have you join us. This is SO cool. Love the coloring on the flowers. I totally remember making things that I would die if I had to make now..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Lydia I'm ticked you are holding out on us......I want to see this original "WOW" bag that you speak of above. I promise NOT to laugh....NOT :-)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! It looks like it was watercolored!

    We are thrilled to have you join us here as guestie and look forward to your every creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, now I totally want to see a wow bag LOL! Your card is pure gorgeousness, woman! Love your technique and those beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grin - oh yes, I remember my early stamped cards. And they sold, even more amazing!! But I sure hope misting with markers never goes out of fashion! I have a feeling that simple has longer shelf-life than fancy, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a knack for making something so simple look stunning! I loooooove this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Lydia! Your card using this weeks colors is beautiful! I love the watercolor affect you've given this pretty image and your sentiment with a touch of bling looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's SO MUCH BETTER than all the wow bags that I remember! Love your "watercolored" flowers and the great design! I'm so glad you'll be hanging out with us this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woohoo! It's fabulous to have you playing with us for a while, sweet Lydia! Love your take on the color combo--those "watercolored" flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you're joining us this month, Lydia! Love the watercolored look of those beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your flowers are beautiful Lydia-I found a couple of my early cards recently-yes they do bring a laugh-congrats on guest designing with the throwdown team

    ReplyDelete
  13. SQUEE! Another guest spot! You GO! I love those colors, too. Might have to play this one.

    And yeah, part of my purging effort included a bunch of "OMG I MADE THIS" projects that I'm soooo over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea you were so hilarious!!! Funny post! I just love LOVE the effect of "The Huff". Gorgeous flowers and perfect card for your first CTD Guestie card!! Yippee! So cool to have you with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I "sessid" before and I'll say it again... you rock, lady! LOVE this great card and the fabulous blend of the colors on those flowers! I'm "squeeeee"-ing to have you join us on the CTD challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is beautiful!

    I don't know...I like the "anything is possible" childlike phase...

    I don't want to grow up...I already play that now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just noticed your hilarious bonus points statement...I mous'none how you thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is SO beautiful! The way those colours blend. YUM. And you are so right about the things that used to wow. I giggle about it often. It's amazing the difference between then & now.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...