Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Guardrail Damage Ahead

We had to go to a funeral today in Kerrville - a great lady passed away at the age of 97, and we gathered together to celebrate her long and amazing life. 97. Born in 1919 - imagine that!

I thought about that on the drive out to the Hill Country - which, by the way, is supremely beautiful, if you've never been. I thought about how my GPS on my phone got me to the funeral home, and how we had all texted each other addresses and times. I thought about the touch screen climate controls in the car, and the charger for my phone plugged into the (gasp) formerly-known-as-cigarette-lighter.

I thought about the jacket I was wearing, because I bought it on Amazon a year ago and it arrived in two days on my porch, after a few clicks on my keyboard.

What wonders she saw in her life. In the year she was born, a wave of MOLASSES killed 21 people. Molasses. And we worry about not eating enough kale. Astounding.

She actually didn't ever learn to drive until she was in her 50s - after her husband passed away, she had to. But in her 80s, she was trimming trees at the ranch with a chainsaw when she broke her arm. Driving is for sissies. Everything is relative.

Speaking of driving, on the way home from the funeral, I saw a sign - numerous times - that just stumps me every time I see it.

"Guardrail damage ahead."

What is the point of this sign?

Am I supposed to be FULLY intending to go crashing into the next intact guardrail I see, and then be deterred at the last minute by the notification of a sub-standard guardrail?

I can just see myself saying "DANG it I really wanted to be saved from plunging into the creek by a brand new guardrail, but this one STINKS - and now I have to drive until I find another!"

I don't understand it.

Miraculously, despite the damaged guardrails, I made it home safely.

Just in time to post this card I've been DYING to share with you. I thought of this idea in a half-dream state - even worked out how to do it, and I'm tickled pink with the result.

It's a combination of a reflection stamping technique with a mirror image stamp from So Suzy Stamps, my Mini MISTI, along with some masking and sponging techniques and a brand spankin' new Sale-A-Bration set called Pedal Pusher.


This set is available for free with a $50 purchase from yours truly!

So here's what I did with it - SQUEE! Look at the puddle! Look at it!!
Mirror Image stamping by Understand BluePin It

Here's how I did it - it's SO easy you won't believe it. I used the 2" Post-It Labeling tape in the video, as well as the Beautiful Ride stamp set, Crystal Effects, and Clear Wink of Stella.

Now, before you go watching this fun video, please take note that I have a fun new online class for the Number of Years bundle. And NONE of the cards in the class involve putting someone's age on the card :). These are super creative ways to use this bundle without making anyone feel old.

Also, I only have a few seats left in my mini retreat in Salt Lake for April - registration will close soon, so don't miss out!

So without further ado - please enjoy this tutorial! And remember - life is a beautiful ride. We won't all live as long as Wanda did, so make the most of the time you have. Especially if you're a stamper. :)

This video is now part of my Master Class on Reflections & Shadows.


Loveyameanitdonthitaguardrailbye.

25 comments:

  1. You are such a ray of sunshine on a snowy winter day! I love your posts. I always leave wearing a broad smile! Keep up the great writing and creative projects! Totally cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this "absorber" you speak of? Love your videos and card kits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary - it's amazing! http://amzn.to/219OQHw You will love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia! Obviously I'm a little late to this discussion but I'm super curious about this!!
      What I'm wondering is when you wipe the ink off of the stamp, does the cloth absorb the ink? Does it transfer the ink to the next thing you wipe? I'm so excited about this because I hate using baby wipes! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kate! No - it's magical!!! I just rinse it out at the end of a stamping session.

      Delete
  4. Love it. You are such a great story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is the coolest thing ever! I love how your mind works. thanks for sharing with us.

    Now go pick up my baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - such a great idea. I can't believe you managed to remember a dream how to though!! Impressive! I can barely remember ideas I have when I'm awake! Lol! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU ARE A GENIUS!
    I love starting my day with one of your posts because you
    a. are inspiring and b. make me laugh
    I guess I must buy this Misti. I am leaning toward the mini - any words of advice? Do I need the larger one instead?
    Also - love your card! It's dreamy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can only get one - get the original one because you can do more tricks with it. I predict you will eventually want the mini for its convenience, travelability etc.

      Delete
  8. Such an amazing card. You are incredible, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool technique Lydia! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool technique Lydia! Also, just thought that for the amount of time and money the state used to make that sign and install it, couldn't they just repair the guardrail? Just sayin'.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool technique, and a fun card... can't wait until my stamp set arrives! BTW, I LOVE your turquoise rings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So brilliant. Love when something works out like you "dreamt" it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful, Lydia! Great way to do the reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea. Very cool. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea. Cool card. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!!!!!! Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cool technique.. I love it when things work out. Thanks so much for sharing my letter with Stamp and storage.. My letter and a couple of pictures are up on the blog.. thanks to your inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the story, love the card, love the technique. Awesome card, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An amazing card Lydia! Congratulations! This project is one of my most popular pins this week and is being highlighted on my blog today. Thanks for sharing. Kylie xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This card is so cool. Thank you for creating the video to show us how to do it. You are an enabler as I now need three new tools, the rubber for the mirror image technique, the absorber, and the 3M tape! Thanks again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...