Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Cheers!

When I was little, our biggest treat EVER was going to Baskin Robbins. I can still smellmember (yes, that's my new word for remembering a smell, which seems impossible to do but we still do it) the sort of frosty smell when you opened the door of the store. And even though I had my go-to favorites (Mint Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Orange, Coffee, Jamoca and Daiquiri Ice), I still looked at every single flavor every time.


I loved the little taster spoons you could get because then I COULD try a few new things but still have my favorites. Sometimes we brought my cat Cucumber with us - and BR would give us these TINY cones for cats and dogs - maybe 3" tall - and we'd bring the tiny cone back to the car and give the cat his ice cream.


My all time favorite still is a sugar cone with Mint Chocolate chip. I hate cold chocolate, but the Baskin Robbins chocolate in that ice cream - at least back then - was shaved, so it melted the second you took a lick. It was as perfect as an ice cream gets.


But once year, during the holidays, I'd break out of my mold and get their candy ice cream. It was pink, minty ice cream, and it had tiny, crunchy, multi-colored hard candies in it. I think those candies were also minty.


When I was sitting down to work on a card for one of the card drives for Falliday Fest, I looked over at the sets sitting on my desk and BOOM - that candy ice cream turned into a birthday card in my head. Baskin Robbins was part of our birthdays as well - we almost always got an ice cream cake - mint chocolate chip for me and orange chocolate for my brother.


Part of my design process is to let stamps sit on my desk for a while while I work on other things - so my newest purchases are always within eyeshot of me. They sort of steep in my head, and then things like this happen and I get a card idea.

So I had the Brushed Cheers and Holiday Confetti sets from The Ton sitting in my new stamp pile - waiting for inspiration for that big, brushstroke sentiment - I love how it looks handpainted. I took the confetti corner and stamped it on each side in So Saffron, and then filled in in Pool Party and Blushing Bride with the smaller confetti stamps. It honestly looks good enough to eat :).


The card base is Pink Pirouette. Kind of an odd size because that's also what was on my desk. Finished cards size is 5.25" x 4 1/8".

links to supplies



Here's a real time video of how that card comes together.



This card is for the fourth card drive of Falliday Fest, and that will be revealed on October 20th. The event itself starts October 9th. We will have four card drives during the event for really special, sweet organizations, so I hope you'll join us!

Then I took the same confetti stamp and made a quick gift card holder with the Gift Card Thinlits. This is one of those dies that saves you when you're late for birthday party, because you can cut a cute holder in two seconds and stamp it up and look like you were actually prepared for something, which is rare :).

links to supplies



I wrapped it like a present with Basic Black Twine, and left the naughty or nice decision to the recipient.

I'm not Santa after all...

I'm hopping with some amazingly talented friends today - I stalk many of these people on Facebook and Instagram because they are so, so talented, so have fun taking a look!



And next time you're at Baskin Robbins, have a sugar cone with some mint chocolate chip for me, will ya?

Loveyameanitbye.

74 comments:

  1. I love your stories...I'd always pick the same flavor but have to check everything else out too.
    Your Cheers card is so pretty, really love the colors. The gift card holder is perfect-o!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful creations. I like the gift card holder - I definitely suffer from "need to create something instantly itis"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card and thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, creative card. I totally get smellmembrancing. And is it weird that I'm craving a Peppermint Pattie now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE festive yet simple cards...I am enamored with your BR story and it reminded me of several childhood memories...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge new release and so many fabulous cards ❤❤❤❤❤Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your cards, and your colors on your first, are AMAZING!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those colors are gorgeous! (If I leave two comments, will two cats be born or is it one per blog post?) >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I love that big, bold sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your package card. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The confetti stamp is rad. I loved your ice cream connection to that cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the little dots...and I, too, would love to see a non-stick position/poke tool to move the clear stamps into place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cards are wonderful. I think I need those stamp sets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. It seems like this would be good for making multiples for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sweet and thanks for the fun story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing card! I love this huge cheers and the confetti stamps are fabulous! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely card and gift card holder! Now I want ice cream....lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I, too, love mint chocolate chip in a sugar cone - THE best!
    Your card is darling and I can see those bits of candy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These stamps are so fantastic. I love the cards you have made with them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great release! The Cards are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Christmas card, it's so cute

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that brushed cheers sentiment, great job showcasing it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oiko now I want a ice cream cone from BR!! Mine was Jamocha Almond Fudge. Love that confetti set!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great cards and I love the ice cream story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yours is another lovely addition to the showcasing of this release.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the hints about the Misti tool. I just mine and am looking forward to using it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the two different ways you've used the confetti image!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lydia, I'm with you, love the big scripty words!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your CAS style card. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely card, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that awesome confetti stamp! Lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The package card is adorable! And the cheers is perfect for so many things! Love them both

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love both of your cards and I so enjoyed your story too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great ice cream story and inspiration from that.
    Personally my favorite from Baskin Robbins is Baseball Nut.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful!! Love the style and design!
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Too fun! Both flavors you mentioned were my favorites as a kid too! I do love that your card reminds me of fun times as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your breath of fresh minty air confetti card!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great use of that big and bold sentiment and the confetti stamped in such pretty colors. Great story too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful Brushed Cheers card - I love the ice cream color combo on the pretty festive card and the red gift card holder is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fun card! Such great light and airy colors. Love that sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love how that "Cheers" sentiment fills the whole card front - the stamped confetti is the perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just love the confetti card. One of my sons loved getting Baskin Robins ice cream cakes for his birthdays growing up since he's not a cake eater. What a great memory. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome creations! Love the confetti card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You have a great memory to enjoy your birthdays. You made great ice cream choices.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love this holiday confetti set and the way you used it. Great card and gift card holder.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful cards and great video. I love your mixture of colors on the confetti on the first card with the bold black sentiment. The second card is great with the bold red card, a funny sentiment and twine to bring their colors together. Thanks for sharing. And yes, I have lost tiny little stamps I have attached to ink lids!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love, love, love the confetti background stamp

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous card! You're making me wish that I lived near a Baskin Robbins now. Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  49. VERY MERRY card and FUN gift card holder!!!
    LOVE the BIG BOLD sentiment and MAGICAL confetti!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your CREATIVE INSPIRATION and process ... sometimes I take a while to know how I am going to use new goodies too :)
    PS - I have similar smellmemories too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Cute card! I love the mix of pretty pastels :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great cards! Confetti is a very useful stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'll have to try your idea of leaving my purchases in view so I may also "steep" some ideas. I'm finding that I go through my stamps and dies and try to find ones to pair together for an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great playful cards! I know some people who I would make these for if I had the stamps & stuff!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...