Thursday, February 28, 2019

Simple Masking & Life Advice From a Mouse

Do you have anxiety? And do you like cheese? Are you allergic to dairy and miss cheese and butter? Do you like free craft supplies? Are you addicted to washi tape?

Then, strangely enough, you're in the right place for all of these things right here on a crafty blog :)

I saw this amazing checkerboard floor image and I had an idea for a card for one of those times someone is struggling with worry.

I'm Irish, so my imagination is extremely vivid. If someone is traveling, and I don't hear from them by a certain time, my Irish brain can see in FULL COLOR a 64 car pileup on a freeway, with body parts flung around, fires and zombies raging through the scene. Possibly spiders too. That mental image doesn't ever match what really happened, which is that someone stopped to get gas and were a little late.

If you have a worst case scenario brain like I do then today's project is for you. NOTHING is ever going to be as bad as you imagine if your brain is wired that way, so bring yourself some peace. Take a nap. Listen to bird calls. As this stamp says - worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

How that relates to cheese I will explain below - and it's just a funny coincidence that I'm writing about mice and cheese today. I didn't plan it.

So I wanted to paint a scene with the little mouse and this hilarious sentiment to illustrate this idea - with his big shadow filling in for his imagination. The mouse is from this set, and the floor is part of this fun scene building set by my sweet friend Tifany. I stamped the little mouse in Nocturne first. Then I used masking paper to mask his bottom half off and stamped the floor image on top of him. Then I watercolored him as you'll see in the video below. The sentiment is from this set. The woodgrain envelope you'll see in the video is this one, and it has matching cardstock.

So what does this have to do with cheese? Well what I thought was a lactose intolerance I just found out is a dairy allergy now. Dreams crushed. I loved dairy, but it didn't love me anymore. Three weeks out of zero dairy and I feel like a new woman.

But the reality is I miss a lot of things. Butter and cheese the most. Those made me sad. I thought the world was ending. There's GREAT local cultured coconut yogurt, and locally made INSANELY delicious coconut yogurt. But vegan cheese substitutes and butters are mostly gross. Until, in a group that I'm in, someone introduced me to CULTURED butter and cheese by a company called Miyoko's. Culturing is usually the difference between a cow milk dairy product and a coconut milk or cashew product. Without culturing, it's not tangy or creamy or worth eating. I tried the butter last week and I literally nearly cried - it's indistinguishable from European cow milk butter - melts the same way, same texture, incredible taste.

So then I moved onto her cheeses - holy wow. They are delicious and there are lots of flavors and style. Her Mozz cheese you freeze and grate onto pizza and I had my first pizza in YEARS this week. Food allergies suck and you just want to feel normal and eat your favorite things sometimes, and now I no longer feel deprived. She wrote a vegan cheese cookbook if you want to make your own.

Before I developed this allergy, I was meaning to tell you how I stored my cheese after a little revelation in Whole Foods one day. If you love cheese - Miyoko's or regular cheese - you HAVE to store it properly or it won't last as long and it will be gross. I would get a brick of my favorite cheddar and then just throw it in a ziploc - the worst thing you can do for your cheese. If you respect your cheese, use these magic, moisture and air controlling bags! Cheese is alive and will die and mold in a ziploc. I love these things, and I was super skeptical when I found them and bought them. So now when I get my Miyoko's I take it out of the packaging and immediately put it in one of the bags or the sheets of the paper. Also, the packaging is beautiful and elegant. You can reuse the bags for the same type of cheese for a long time. If you prefer the paper, you can buy that, or you can buy a little bundle that includes a little cheese log.

NO MORE MOLDY CHEESE - THAT WILL UPSET THE MOUSE. And see? The world didn't end.

If you find some of this delightful non dairy food near you, Miyoko's has a fun and friendly Facebook group as well. Both of these have made it onto my Food Favorites list, which you can find here. I also have a healthier version of caramel for you - my friend Jami posted this - I instantly made it, and it was very hard not to eat the entire jar.

1 cup medjool dates (pits removed)
2 tablespoons almond butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (I used cashew milk - as you now know I can't have cow milk).
Blend in #vitamix or other high powered blender. Eat. Store in fridge *IF* there is any left for up to a week.
Via Jami Bova - shared with permission

I don't have a Vitamix - but there's one on the way thanks to a crazy daily deal on Amazon that nearly cut the price in half - so I did it in my Ninja, which is an awesome machine, but it won't get things perfectly smooth like the Vitamix does. I've heard that Blendtec is also very good and less expensive, although not by much after that daily deal - watch those things! I had no idea - but someone in one of my recipe groups shared the deal, thank goodness. We have Marie Kondo'd our kitchen recently and got rid of our old blender that leaked every time I used it. ANYWAY, EAT THE CARAMEL.

So on to the video with my anxious mouse AND a tiny, fun thing that will make you love your washi tape EVEN MORE. But see below the video for info on today's giveaway!


Ink Blot Shop Clear Stamp Set...
[ SSS | INK ]
Ink Blot Shop Clear Stamp Set GET...
[ SSS | INK ]
Flopsy Forest Friends :: 6x8 Clear...
[ INK | SSS ]
Billy Silly Goats :: 6x8 Clear Stamp...
[ INK | SSS ]
Kaisercraft - Clear Stamper
[ AMZUS ]
Kokuyo Washi Tape Cutter Karu-Cut...
[ ETS ]
Amazon.com: Staedtler Mars Technico...
[ AMZUS ]
Avery 6465 Removable Multipurpose...
[ AMZUS ]
8 1/2 x 11 Tindalo Brown Wood Grain...
[ PPR ]
A2 Tindalo Brown Wood Grain...
[ PPR ]
Heavy Base Weight Card Stock- Key Lime
[ GNK ]
Envelopes 10 pack- Key Lime - Gina K...
[ GNK ]
VersaFine Clair Ink Pad, Nocturne -...
[ ELH | SSS ]
Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors
[ BLIC ]
Escoda Versatil Brushes, Travel Round...
[ UTR | BLIC | INK ]
Da Vinci Cosmotop Sable Mix F Brushes...
[ BLIC | ELH ]
Fabriano Extra White Cold Press...
[ BLIC ]
MISTI Stamping Tool
[ MSW | HA | SSS | ELH | MFT | UNT ]
Lawn Fawn STAMP SHAMMY Cleaner LF1045
[ SSS | ELH | CST | ART ]
Rotatrim Professional Series Cutter -...
[ BLIC ]
Nesting Porcelain Bowls - BLICK art...
[ BLIC ]
My Favorite Watercolor Sketchbook
[ UTR ]
Tombow MONO MULTI Liquid Glue Two...
[ SSS | MFT ]
LightView 2in1 LED Magnifier for...
[ BRG ]
Cheese Storage Bags
[ FRM ]
Cheese Storage Kit
[ FRM ]
New Release - Ink Blot Shop
[ SSS ]


Today My Sweet Petunia and Tifany are teaming up on a giveaway! My Sweet Petunia is giving away a MISTI + Cut-align Bundle, and Tifany is giving away the four sets shown below, including the one I used! Head over to the My Sweet Petunia blog for another watercolor card I made for today and leave us both a comment to double your chances of winning! Get another chance over at the Ink Blot Shop Blog. See the rest of the release here.


Loveyameanitbye.

73 comments:

  1. Oh, this little guy looks so sad - probably just how you were feeling when you couldn't have any more cheese. I love your coloring and the cute shadow you included. Thanks for sharing the card and for the tip on the cheese bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable!!! I really love the floor! I know there is a technique to do it but I never have the patience to learn it, the floor set is going on my wishlist! I adore the shadow on the mouse. Oh, yes, my mind goes to scary places when my people are late. My husband drives 45 minute drive to work in crazy scary traffic every day and now I have two young adult drivers as well. I have to constantly reign in that worry! Such sweet stamp sets to giveaway and a cut-align!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Check, have to add more to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute little worried mouse! I definitely have a worst-case-scenario brain — and I have said that very phrase — so I feel for him. (When you started talking about worrying and cheese, I thought the post was going to be about the book “Who Moved My Cheese?” which I had to read during my past corporate career. I’m glad it wasn’t.🙂) Thanks for the caramel recipe - my sister is vegan, and we have a Vitamix, so we can try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love all the images and colors!!!
    To be a winner winner chicken dinner would be stamptastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK the large shadow behind the mouse.....so cute. Ink Blot Spot is becoming my new favorite

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your stories and I share the fact that dairy doesn't love me. This little mouse is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW ... Never heard of this company. Beautiful card and cute stamps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I love that card and so need to make one (or more). As usual, your dialog is funny yet spot on. Also, so glad you found alternatives to accommodate your dairy allergy. Good info. I can't imagine a life without cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should be a motivational speaker, even if it's to just us stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm okay with no milk or ice cream...but no cheese???!! How terrible. I am glad you found an agreeable substitute. I have crazy worry brain amd I hate the dark places my mind goes. I love this mouse...just precious!!! Hugs🌵💜

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of this company and stamps. I love the stamps and how much fun would it be to have a misti and something to help me cut a straight line for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute card!! Love the floor and the shadow!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet card and great sentiment! Awesome that you found some products that make you happy! I would be lost without butter and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG. So cute. Love the shadow behind the mouse. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Worrying works. 96% of the things I worry
    about never happen.
    I stitched this mantra for my daughter (we
    are both big worries). It might be one
    you need also. The stamps are cute.
    thanks for sharing. Sorry about your
    allergies - the scents in products are
    my problem. Soap, shampoo, etc - no
    foo-foo smells. take care
    txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That mouse is darling, and I love how you've masked him so nicely! Sorry about your dairy allergies. Makes it difficult to eat out. DD has a soy allergy, and omg, soy seems to be in nearly everything! I'll be thinking about you! Thanks for sharing - this stamp line is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, he's TOO CUTE!!!!!!!! I love this little scene

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg - it mush kill you waiting for all of us to arrive at your retreats! This is so beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic card! Brilliant simplicity

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic card! Brilliant simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this timid mouse on the cute checkerboard floor & large shadow. Thanks for informing me of the proper way to store cheese. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute little guy! You did such a wonderful job on the video of showing all the steps of making your card...so helpful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No more dairy?! That would crush me initially, too. Thanks for sharing your brave journey into the world of alternative cheeses!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This card is absolutely adorable! I love everything about it, Lydia! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute card. I really like the floor set. I can imagine so many uses for it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Look the shadow of who that mouse thinks he is!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the mouse on the floor. So cute. Sorry about the dairy, I'd be miserable without cheese too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a cute card. The mouse looks so sad.
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cute card. I love the shadow behind the mouse and your coloring is gorgeous. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Walking tall mouse! He's precious and thank you for the story literally behind this mouse.Sweet water colors and floor :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this card!It certainly says a lot as you take it all in.Including your words.I finally found the set he was in.He’s just a little guy and I kept over looking him.(aww) Your masking technique was really helpful.I know I’m going to have to buy the Ground Stamps.They help to make a perfect scene.Thank You So much for sharing with us.Now to go back and find your you Tube Channel.!Thanks Again

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic card. Love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was reading Therese of Lisieux this morning and then I saw your mouse. "When we yield to discouragement it is usually because we give too much thought to the past and to the future." I understand the thought but it's hard to do. Love the card.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That mouse -he speaks to me! Love the checkerboard floor & painting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this mouse card! And wow! Thanks for all the tips about vegan cheese. My daughter was vegan for a while and that cheese was nasty! I’ll have to tell her to read this blog post��

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh, no more dairy?? That would put me right over the edge, and I'm teetering there already! I have 3 little kids, so worst-case scenerios are a part of life. As for that little mouse...awww, someone give him a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wisconsin...we are the cheese capital of the U.S. and just had a 130 car pile up due to all of the snow. I am living your nightmare! Your little mouse is incredible and he makes my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This mouse is adorable!! I enjoyed your video and the story, as well as the non-dairy tips. You are a wealth of inspiration and information!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. oooooh - LOVE this darling mouse image and the creepy shadow is so fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a cutie patootie he is!! Darling card.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think my brain just exploded. You are a treasure trove of information and your delivery is always spot on. Oh - and your card (as always) is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Adorable card!!! Glad you enjoyed the date caramel - you will love having a vitamix! I also make vegan cheese in it by the way...I'll send you the video. It's awesome. Thanks for the link to the book, will check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. This little guy looks like I feel right now! Such a cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a darling creative card. Live this. Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  46. My whole family is lactose intolerant, and my brother has a true dairy allergy so I feel your pain. We're lucky to have a lot of alternative these days though, because 15 years ago there was NOTHING!! That Get Grounded set is a must-have for cute scenes...and I think you need to give that mouse some cheese..quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a cute little fella - very nice card!

    ReplyDelete
  48. HA! I love this sentiment and darling card design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love what goes on in your head! You are my inspiration. I have tried many techniques and products because of your posts. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a great idea for a card. Your mouse is adorable and I love his worry shadow too. Food allergies can be so tough glad you are finding options that work and taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Darling card and
    love the mouse.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  52. So cute...love the mouse shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  53. What an adorable card. This little mouse is precious! Loved the process video! So talented! You make everything look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This sweet little mouse needs a hug. Such an adorable card.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Super cute card! Love the details of the floor and the shadow! The Get Grounded set is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Lydia...I love you so much!!! Hahaha!!! We are totally kindred spirits....I must have some Irish in my blood too, because I am the world's worst worrier and always go to the 64 car pileup with fire and zombies too!!! LOL!!! I laughed so hard I cried when I read that!!! You have NO IDEA how badly I needed that laugh either!!! I love the card too! Thank you sooooo much for making my day brighter!!! You my dear are a rockstar!!! Big Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Mr. Mouse, the card, the sentiment, the story in this post and in the video are awesome!! I always learn from you with papercrafting and life stuff lol. Now I can't wait to get this Ink Blot Shop Get Grounded stamp set and Miyoko's cheese and butter products and to leave the worrying to others :) Thanks for the inspiration and fun today! (mardy14@bellsouth.net)

    ReplyDelete
  58. That's cool the way you made the mouse have that huge shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Such an adorable mouse. I always enjoy reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Fun mouse scene and I am happy I am not dairy free but my son is--makes it hard to fix meals.

    ReplyDelete
  61. This is adorable!! Love the shadow!! Such a fun touch!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Awww!!! Adorable!!!
    I really feel you because I'm celiac!

    ReplyDelete
  63. This card really tickles me! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  64. What a cute card! Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...