Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thank You!

I just wanted to say thanks today.

Your comments, your cards for my card drives, and just your presence here makes me happy. I appreciate you so much, and today is the perfect day to thank you for being awesome.

I hope if you're celebrating Thanksgiving today that it's peaceful and fun and FILLED with pumpkin pie, and no prohibited items like oyster stuffing.

If you're not celebrating Thanksgiving today - please know that the rest of us are sleepy and full and confused, so don't take us too seriously today.

Friday - we plan to choose the #OptOutside campaign started by REI and spend the day hiking off that turkey, and then, for me, it will all be about those Christmas cards for the rest of the weekend.

Yesterday - since you know how I feel like Christmas needs to stifle itself until after Thanksgiving, I decided to take my leftover Brusho sheets from yesterday's project and cut them up with the Take a Bough die from Concord & 9th - it makes SUCH cute trees. I thought the Brusho sheets would make a GORGEOUS fall tree, and they did. I haven't seen a fall tree with this die yet - I hope I'm the first person to think of this! It was a happy accident born out of the UFO pile on my desk :).

I will say that the one time of year that I miss New York is in the fall. We don't get this color here.

 I took a 1/8th skewer and rubbed Soft Suede Ink all over it with a paper towel, and then put the tree together according to their instructions, except leaving off the large branches, because my skewer was pretty short.

Then I drilled a shallow 1/8th hole in my wood slice, and filled it with wood glue and held my skewer in there until it set.

Then I covered the slice with Mono Multi and added Flower Soft.

Pin It

Now shortly after this photo was taken, my kittiot - Splotchy - was discovered eating the top of the tree.

He's in the doghouse. I repaired it and it's now up high on a shelf, safe from marauding beasts.

(I am, however, also thankful for my marauding beasts. I love them, despite their bouts of crazy brain. )

Thanksgiving is really my favorite holiday. I look forward to it every year.

Did you know that it was a woman who petitioned the powers that be (Lincoln) to establish an annual day of Thanksgiving in America? Her name was Sarah Josepha Hale - and I'm betting she was a woman who appreciated a good pumpkin pie. It didn't become official until 1941 - but Sarah - my pilgrim hat is off to you! Thanks for getting that ball rolling!

Thanks for stopping by today and always.

Loveyameanitbye.



17 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Lydia. I am thankful that I have been able to meet you in Cincinnati! Love your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tree! So creative! That Splotchy! Thanks for making me laugh all year long. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply brilliant - and I am extra grateful because I already own that die and Brusho.... so I could actually make one. Well, I don't have the wooden disc for the bottom or a drill but, you get my point. It's beautiful, Lydia. Happy Thanksgiving. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, Lydia! I am a Stampin' Up! guy through and through, but I admit that I have some great stuff from Concord and 9th - Greg is a friend, and I'm so happy for their success. You are such an inspiration, Lydia, and I love everything you do - even when you pick fights on Facebook about very, very important things like stuffing vs dressing. I'm thankful today to live in a world where the good people (those who like cornbread dressing) can live in harmony with the others. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Thanksgiving post. I like your thinking about the day. It is indeed a beautiful season in the Northeast, something that keeps me here when I think of living in another part of the country. The cat eating the top of the tree - well, that's what cats do, eh? At least you could repair that beautiful tree. Have a wonderful day today and a great hike tomorrow - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is GORGEOUS!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving Fiedler clan! I wish the loving spirit of people I've encountered shopping the last THREE days was year round..... **sigh** Black Friday seems to end that! I will be here at work locking up those fist-i-cuffing over $5 DVD's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your posts. I read few all the way through, but I enjoy every word you write. Your tree is wonderful. Have a great weekend. Please hike a bit for me tomorrow! Thanks for sharing your many talents and sense of humor with us. And did you know it was a woman who invented the paper sack?, the flare? the windshield wiper?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving!! I just ordered that die and, even though I adore autumn, a fall tree never occurred to me. It's gorgeous! I've also only ever seen it in little terra cotta pots, and I LOVE your wood slice. Just an FYI though - the link you have for the wood slice, goes to the bamboo skewers. I'd love to track down those wood slices so will be watching and hoping you update it. There are a lot of options on Amazon - and am just curious which size you used because it's in perfect proportion. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh - I am so sorry - thank you for telling me - I fixed it!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely little tree! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got that die! Now I need those wood slices too obviously. Cute tree! I'll be hiking through Michaels tomorrow looking for the wood slices I dare say! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable tree! And yes, using the Brusho sheets is a fantastic idea. I can say that because I've been using my Gelli plate panels for weeks for backgrounds and die-cutting. :D

    And would that 1/8" skewer also be called a toothpick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah no - it's a skewer - much taller than a toothpick :)

      Delete
  12. Goodness hat tree is gorgeous! Thank YOU, Lydia, for brightening my days with art and laughter! You're a national treasure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After making that adorable and colorful tree, you deserve a Happy Thanksgiving and #OptOutside day. Enjoy all those luscious goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderfully sweet tree - I'm glad you repaired it. From the amount of times I lick my watercolour brushes, I'm sure Splotchy didn't come to any harm other than being in the (dog)cat-house. And what a brilliant way to use up leftover bits of Brusho background.

    p.s from the next post. - we had childhood cats who loved the car and regularly came on holidays, lying happily on the back window for the journey; and even one who used to come along for the ride to the beach for holiday morning swims. And when my sister lived in the city, they had harnesses for theirs and brought them to the park along with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lydia, that autumn tree is the cutest thing ever! I love those flaming colors. Splotchy deserves a tummy ache from eating on the tree. Ha Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...