Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lincoln Says Shalom

This afternoon, I went to see Lincoln with a neighbor.

I was struck by two things. Well, maybe three.

First of all, I typically see movies about ten years after they are released. I don't like theaters very much, and I get a wee bit antsy about sitting in the dark with strangers. Especially when I can hear them eating.

I attribute this, as I do most things I'm afraid of, to the Grimm brothers and Edward Gorey.

So I didn't even know that the lead was played by Daniel Day Lewis until we were in the car on the way home - that's how good he was.

I was very taken by how charming they made Lincoln. That was never a word I would have described him with. My first impression of him was the monument in DC I saw when I was somewhere between kindergarten and fourth grade. Seeing that is still one of the most memorable moments of my life. It's a heart stopping monument, whether or not you even know who he was. He was imposing, dignified, larger than life, stoic. Not charming. So that was very enjoyable in the movie, whether or not it was accurate.

Next, there was the fact that that politicians were, are and always shall be, lower life forms not worthy of our energy. Sheesh. Some things never change.

God bless our American revolutionaries who understood this in their very DNA. I have that DNA :).

Finally - there was a quote which really paused the movie for me and made it hard for me to concentrate for the remainder.

Lincoln quoted the Euclidian "common notion":

 Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to one another.

All creatures great and small.

Think about that one for a while.

Meanwhile, happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends! As usual, I'm a day late. But I couldn't resist CASE'ing a card I saw on Facebook for the start of Hanukkah - the Keep Calm and Shalom cracked me up :).


I used some sneak peek goodies from our spring mini catalog, including the hexagon embossing folder, the DSP, the Pool Party embossing folder and the ribbon. Pretty, eh? The stamp sets are Carry On and Jewish Celebrations. Can't wait to show you the rest!
Pin It

Hope you are having a good December - I was shocked to see today that there are only 16 more days until Christmas - where does the time go?

Loveyameanitbye.


4 comments:

  1. I've always had a fascination for Lincoln based on some of his quotes - thanks for your thoughts on the movie, I'm going to see it...and I LOVE this card - love the dp's, hexagons, funny sentiment, and POOL PARTY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I went to see Lincoln yesterday, too and oddly, I have the same feelings about theaters. That and the fact that we always go to the first show of the day so the audience is in constant motion--blue hairs going to the bathroom. Now, being a bonafide blue hair myself, I can grouse. Like go before the movie starts. If you can't hold on for two hours, see your urologist. Anyway, I was struck by the same quote and by the fact that politicians have always been scummy, creepy, ugly. Just had to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I need to see Lincoln. Maybe in 10 years.

    And I'll be placing an order for some Spring goodies - I can see that now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...why oh why didn't I see that Hanukkah and Carry On combo while the Hanukkah Hop was in progress?? Would have been a fun addition. Ah well I can enjoy your card with all the new goodies and the clever use of the texts. It really would be fun to use the Carry On and Shalom together since they are so totally opposite in meaning if you use Carry On as hullabaloo). Can't wait to get my hands on that Pool Party embossing "powder". I love all things Pool Party.
    You really had me going there...flipping back and forth in the Spring Catalog looking for that ribbon...and the paper. Finally called a friend and she took pity on me...reminded me we had an SAB catalog too! Sheesh! You'd think I'd have remembered that. Now to rewrite my preorder plans all over again. Can't believe I missed that ribbon. Thanks for showcasing it Miss Lydia.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...