Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Furry thoughts...

I think I know what is so amazing about having an animal.

What you can do when you rescue a little creature is guarantee an entire life on this planet without one harsh word. An entire life with only kind and affectionate hands. And entire life with no worries about predators or the next meal or anxiety about the future. An entire life with no fear, only love.

Even the best parent in the world can't keep their child from experiencing fear or worry or injury.

No human on earth will ever have a life like that. But you can give that life to a furry. :) I say this of course, as an inveterate and unapologetic critter spoiler.

Since I stamp with a little beast draped across my work surface most days, I ponder these things whenever I get creative. They just go hand in hand.

I got some good crafty time in this weekend and stayed relatively unplugged with the exception of Angry Birds, of course.

I did do some live crafting on Ustream, and Leslie helped me make this card with a set I had not inked up before this session. She suggested that I use the Waltzingmouse sketch and it fit my idea perfectly.



You know I love to make cards where cats are thinking about birds and mice. :) So I thought I'd use the greeting in a smart alecky way for this one. I have a bird feeder right outside my stamp room for the entertainment of my deskmate, and this is basically what she does all day long.

I stamped the stems on the card base, and then stamped the flower image on Calypso Coral and Daffodil Delight and cut them out. You can use the Scallop Punch, but then you'll have a little border around the flower and I didn't want that. After I stamped and colored the images, I punched them out with the 1.25" circle punch. (Note - you will want to stamp these upside down and near the edge of your cardstock to frame them like I've done.) I glued them to the flowers and popped them both off the card with dimensionals.

Here's the rest of this set - Touch of Kindness - it's so cute!

I hope everyone had a relaxing weekend. I hope that your first day back at work doesn't go like this! (Click here if you don't see the video).

11 comments:

  1. Last night, Syd, who used to be a stray, jumped up with a start when someone let off some fireworks in the alley. I patted him on the head, and he laid back down, completely relaxed. "Oh, yeah, I forgot. I don't have to worry about those things any more. Thanks, pal." And we both fell fast asleep amid the rockets' red glare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, you and Gary with your "you are safe here" stories. *sniff*

    I do love this card. Glad I could suggest the sketch. I guess wading through 728 unread blog posts all week long does pay off. :)

    WV: harbezs

    I haven't been to harbezs lately. Decided I don't like sheet meat faux roast beast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grins - I like that card and the the thought process behind it. My cat thought too much about birds and mice, sadly for them.
    One of the guys in work told me to look up this video on YouTube and I thought of you. Since it's an English ad you probably don't know it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6CcxJQq1x8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn - I think I could have worked the word verification into that comment. Does it count if you break it up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this post, realizing that when you wrote it, the news of the day (ahem, century) hadn't broken yet... yep, we can give that life to animals, and although no human will ever have it, we try to give it to our loved ones as best we can...I would do ANYTHING to protect my kids from a life of worry about predators, feed them, hug them...provide shelter and try to calm every . single. fear....only some, don't. and those that don't..just walk away???? hmmm. 'nuf said. Lovey you lots and lots <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Animals are my favorite creature, thing, subject. Doesn't matter what kind. I even love rodents. Never saw an animal I didn't love. Born that way and although sometimes it's a burden (heartbreak related), I wouldn't have it any other way. Animals are just better than humans. They give unconditional love, they kill for survival (most times) whereas humans do it because they like it (are you listening hunters - yeah, sneak up on Bambi and put a bullet in her head you #@$%@!! Apparently there's no longer meat in he supermarkets, Bullfighting? I stand up and cheer when a matador gets gored. Tough crap. I could write a mini series so I'd better stop. Let's not forget the poor excuse for a human being who kills another human being. Animals are just BETTER. Sorry for the tirade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fun post, Lydia! I love what you say about animals in general, I love your sweet card, and that video is hilarious! Thanks for brightening my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are sooo me...if it has fur or feathers, I will love it. All my animals have been rescues and very special. Luv your work.
    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute card that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute card that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...